96 Route 19. SAVONA. From Genoa
154/2 M. Cogoleto, erroneously described as the birthplace of
Columbus (p. 90). — 1972 M. Varazze (Hót. Genova, R. 2 fr., Hót.
Torretti, both very fair), with 6700 inhab., is a busy ship-huilding
place, prettily situated among orange gardens, and is visited as a
wintering-place and bathing-resort. — 2172 M. Celle Ligure, the
birthplace of Pope Sixtus IV. (Francesco della Róvere). — 24 M,
Albissóla, the Román Alba Docilia, situated at the mouth of the
Sansobbia, includes three villages. Pottery is largely manufacture!
in Albissóla Marina. The handsome Palazzo della Rovere (now Pal.
Gavotti), in Albissóla Superiore, was the birthplace of Popes JuliusII,
(Giuliano della Rovere).
2672 M. Savona. — Hotels. Hotel Modernb du Commerce, near
the station, R. 21/2-3'fr.; Albergo Roma, R. 2V2, omn. lhír., Alb.-Risioe.
Svizzero, R. lV2fr., both well spoken of; Alb. Nuovo Torino, at the station.
— Rail. Restaurant. — Cabs. Per drive80 c, per hour I1/2fr., special tariff
for longer excursions. — Omnibuses. To Albissóla Superiore, 35 c.; to Vado,
every 20 min., 30 c.; to Spotorno, twice daily, 50 c.; etc. — Sea Baths at the
Stabilimento Wanda. — British Vice-Consul, Otlavio Ponzoñe. — Church Seamen't
Institute for British sailors (services on San. and Tues., concert on Wed.).
Savona (33 ft.), the Savo of the Romans, on the Letimbro, was
occupied in the second Punic War by Hannibal's hrother Mago,
and during the middle ages waged an unsnccessful rivalry with
Genoa. It is now the seat of a bishop and one of the most impor¬
tant sea-ports and industrial towns (24,900 inhab.) of Italy. Soap
(sapone) is said to have been invented here and to have derived
its ñame from this town.
At the Harbour, to the N.E. of the station, rises the ancient
Torre Pancaldo, called after the navigator of that ñame; and on
the adjoining point is a Genoese fort (now a prison), incorpoiating
some remains of the oíd cathedral, destroyed in 1542. The new
Cathedral (oí 1604) contains a picture by Lod. Brea, a marble cross
by G. A. Molinari (1499), and a Renaissance pulpit by Molinari
and Ant. Aprile (1522). Opposite is the Ateneo (unflnished), built
for Julius II. by Giul. da Sangallo. The handsome theatre, erected
in 1853, is dedicated to the poet Chiabrera (1552-1637), a native of
the place. The oratory of Santa Maria di Castello has a large altai-
piece by Vine. Foppa and Lod. Brea, with a portrait of the donor,
Giuliano della Rovere (1490; injured). There is a small picture-
gallery in the Ospedale Cívico (open on Sun. & Thurs., 10-4).
To the S.W. of the station extend a large Industrial Quarttri
with iron-works, steel-works, potteries, etc., and the pretty Giar¬
The church of the Madonna degli Angelí, near the artillery-barrackí,
to the N. above the harbour, commands a "View of the Gulf of Genoa as
far as Camogli. — Suntuurio, see p. 51.
From Savona to Turin, see pp. 51-49; to Alessandria, see p. 53.
The railway now traverses large lemon and orange gardens. —
30 M. Vado, the Vada Sabatia of the Romans (fine view from the
lighthouse l'/4 M. to the S.E.). — 3172 M. Bergeggi. From the road