94 Route 18. GENOA. e. Campo Santo.
room for 1300 persons. It then takes the ñame of Corso Dógáli and re-
joins the main thoroughfare at the Castello de Alhertis, adjoining the up¬
per entrance to the Botanic Garden (p. 89).
The Campo Santo ot Cimitero di Staglieno (open daily'9-6, in
winter 10-6; tramway No. 5, p. 76) is reached from the Piazza Manin
(p. 93) by the Via Montaldo, which leaves the city by the Poría
San Bartolomeo (Pl. I, 3, 4) and then descends (views) to the N.
into the Valley of the Bisagno and to Staglieno (p. 361). About
l/% M. farther on (l1^ M. from the town) is the entrance to the
cemetery, which was laid out by Resasco in 1844-51 and stretches
up the slope on the N. bank of the Bisagno. We flrst enter a large
rectangular space, with sumptuous single monuments in the recesses
of the arcades, and beyond that is an oval space, with rows of
monuments in the recesses. Flights of steps and broad inclined
planes lead up to the upper galleries, the central point of which is a
rotunda, with a dome borne by monolithic columns of black marble.
Above the rotunda, to the N.E., cióse to the steep hillside, is the
tomb of Giuseppe Mazzini (d. 1872). — In returning, we may use
the tramway line (No. 7) along the Via di Circonvallazione a Mare
By road from Genoa to Piacenza, comp. p. 360.
19. From Genoa to Ventimiglia. Riviera di Ponente.
94 M. Railway in 4Vz-7 hrs. (fares 17 fr. 55, 12 fr. 30, 7 fr. 90 c.; ex¬
press 19 fr. 30, 13 fr. 50 c). The 'train de luxe' from Vienna to Cannes
fp. 23) performs the journey in about 4J/4 hrs. (lst class fare 26 fr. 10 c).
In winter a dining-car (déj. Styí) D. 4V2 fr.) is attached to the first ex¬
press from Genoa and the afternoon express from Ventimiglia. — This tour
by road (103 M.), though very fatiguing, is recommended to CycKsts. —
Electric Tramway (No. 13) to Voltri, see p. 77.
In calm weather the Steamboat Jocrnet is far preferable to the rail¬
way. Steamers of the Hamburg-Amerika Line ply every Mon., Wed., &
Frid., from Jan. lOth to May 12th from Genoa to San Remo (43/4hrs.;
fare 18 fr. 90, return 30 fr. 80 c), Monaco, and Nice; returning every Tues.,
Thurs., & Sat. (restaurant on board). The boats start from the Ponte
Federico Guglielmo (p. 75).
The remarks at p. 73 on the luxnriant flora apply especially to
the Riviera di Ponente. The railway penetrates the numerous pro-
montories by tunnels.
2 M. San Pier d'Arena or Sampierdarena, situated on the coast
at the mouth of the Polcevera (p. 53), has 15,100 inhab. and num¬
erous palaces, including the Pal. Scassi, formerly Imperiali, and the
Pal. Spinola, both probably by Gal. Alessi. Large sugar-refinery
and steel-works, etc. Fine view from the pilgrimage-church near
the Forte Belvedere (420 ft.; inn), I1/4 M. to the N.E.
2y2 M. Cornigliano Ligure (Grand Hotel Villa Rachel), an in¬
dustrial town with numerous villas (Villa Raggio, finely situated on