e. Circonvallazione a Monte. GENOA. 18. Route. 93
The Road to Nervi (tramway No. 8, p. 77; carriage-tariff, see p. 7G),
the E. continuation of the Via Venti Settembre (p. 85), runs due E. beyond
the Piazza Tommaseo (Pl. K, 8) viá the Gallina d'Albaro. In San Francesco
d'Albaro, at the top of the ridge, are the house occupied by Lord Byron
in 1822-23 (Via Albaro 10), tbe Palazzo del Paradiso (16th cent.), the Villa
Cambiaso (1557), and other fine country-housea. We then descend to Sturla
(23 ft.; p. 107), where the route approaches the sea, and skirt the coast,
with continuous fine views of both Rivieras (p. 73), to the station of Quarto
(p. 107). A small monument near the station marks the point of embark-
ation of 1000 Garibaldians for Marsala in 1860. Thence viá Quinto to
Nervi (p. 107).
e. From the Piazza Corvetto to the Piazza Manin. Via di Cir¬
convallazione a Monte. Castellaccio. Campo Santo.
The Via Assarotti (p. 91) ascends from the Piazza Corvetto to the
N.E., passing the church of Santa Maria Immacolata (Pl. G, 4; 1856-
73), to the Piazza Manin (Pl.I, 4; 330ft. above thesea). OntheW.
side of this piazza begins the Via di Circonvallazione a Monte, a
magniflcent route laid out since 1876 on the hills at the back of
the town (tramway No. 2, see p. 76). It skirts the hillside to the
W. in long windings, under various ñames (Corso Principe Amedeo,
Corso Solferino, Corso Magenta, Corso Paganini), and leads to the
Spianata Castelletto (Pl. E, 3), commanding one of the flnest views
of Genoa. Here it takes the ñame of Corso Firenze and runs to the
N. to the church and cable-car station (No. 1; p. 77) of San Nicolb
(Pl. E, 1). It then sweeps round above the poor-house (see below)
and the charmingly situated Castello de Albertis (Pl. C, D, 1), a villa
in the style of a mediaeval castle, to the Corso Ugo Bassi, whence it
winds down under various ñames to the Piazza Acquaverde (p. 90).
The tramway avoids some of the curves by a tunnel.
From the Piazza della Zecca (Pl. D, 3; p. 88) the cable-tram-
way mentioned at p. 77 ascends through a tunnel in 7 min. to
S. Nicolb (see above; change of carriage) and thence in 7 min. more
through orchards to the loftily-situated '"Castellaccio. The site of
the upper terminus of the line (ca. 1020 ft.; Caffl-Ristorante Bere-
gardo, déj. 21/2, D. 4 fr., well spoken of) commands a beautiful
view of the valley of the Bisagno and the Campo Santo.. A little
higher up is the *Hótel-Restaurant Righi (1070 ft.; déj. &l% D.
6 fr.), with a magniflcent view of Genoa and the coast from Savona
to the promontory of Portofino. A more extensive view is obtained
immediately above the oíd Forte Castellaccio (1252 ft.), 10 min.
farther up. — In winter the N. wind is often very cold on this ex¬
Pedestrians may either take the steep paved path, beginning at the
Trattoria dei Cacciatori, a little to the W. of the Hotel Righi, which
descenda in 20 min. to the church of San Nicolb (see above), or follow the
stony ridge to the W. of the fort to (ca. IV2 hr.) Granarolo (p. 91).
The older line of roads, diverging to the left at the Spianata Castel¬
letto (see above), is known as the Viu di Circonvulluzione a Monte Inferiere.
The first part of it, named the Corso Carbonara, leads to the Albergo dei
Poveri or poor-house (Pl. D, E, 1, 2; 318 ft. above the sea), which ha .