90 Route 18. GENOA. c. Piazza del Principe.
oí Rome. It was purchased by the royal family in 1817, and restored
in 1842. The palace contains handsome staircases and balconies (fine
views), and is sumptuously furnished (adm., see p. 78). The pictures
and antiquities are of no great valué.
We pass through an ante-chamber to the handsome gallery with rococó
painting and a few ancient and modern statues: on the right, Apollo and
Apollino, on the left, Mercury; at the end, Rape of Proserpine by Schiaffino.
In the throne-room, two large pictures by Luca Giordano. In the royal
apartments: An. Carracci, Sibyl; Perin del Vaga, Holy Family; Guercino,
Sibyl; Van Dyck, Portrait of Marchesa Durazzo (spoiled). — Fine view of
the harbour from the balcony.
The Via Balbi ends at the Piazza Acota verde (Pl. C, 2), the
large square in front of the W. railway-station, the terminus of the
electric tramway along the Via di Circonvallazione a Monte, and a
station on the electric line to the Piazza Deferrari (comp. p. 76;
Nos. 2 & 6). On the N. side of the Piazza, embosomed in palm-
trees, rises the marble Statue of Columbus (erected in 1862), who
was born at Genoa, probably in 1451 (d. in 1506 at Valladolid). At
the feet of the statue, which leans on an anchor, kneels the figure
To the W. of the station is the Piazza del Peincipe (Pl. B, 2),
which commands a good view of part of the oíd fortifications. A
large Bronze Monument, 40 ft. high, by Giulio Monteverde, was
erected here in 1896 in honour of the Duke of Galliera (p. 80).
It represents Liberality, led by a winged genius and handing to
Mercury treasnres from her cup. On the pedestal is a medallion of
the duke. — No. 4 in the piazza (W. side) is the long —
Palazzo Doria (Pl. A, B, 2), presented in 1522 to Andrea
Doria, 'padre della patria' (d. 1560, at the age of 92). It was remod-
elled in 1529 from designs by Fra Giov. Ang. Montorsoli, ani
adorned with frescoes and grotesques by Perin del Vaga. The eider
branch of the Doria family, to which the palace belongs, has allied
itself with the Pamphili family, and generally resides at Rome.
The long Latin inscription on the side next the street records that
Andrea d'Oria, adrairal of the Papal, Imperial, French, and native íleets,
in order to cióse his eventful career in honourable repoae, caused the
palace to be rebuilt for himself and his successors. His praises were
thus sung by Ariosto: 'questo é quel Doria, che fa dai pirati sicuro il
vostro mar per tutti i lati'.
To the right in the court is a large areaded loggia, to the left a taste¬
ful garden and a fountain by the Carlone (1599-1601), with a statue of
Andrea Doria as Neptune. — The last door on the right adrnits us to the
apartments with Perin del Vaga's Frescoes (restored in 1845). On the ceiling,
vaulting, and lunettes of the great entrance-hall are scenes from Román
history, below which are reliefs by Montorsoli; on the staircase are taste¬
ful grotesques. A corridor on the first üoor, with portraits of the Doria
family, is charmingly decorated with stuceo and painted ornamenta in the
style of Raphael's loggie in the Vatican; a saloon with a large ceiling-paint-
ing, Júpiter overthrowing the Titans (superb chimney-piece); and a side-
room with a ceiling-fresco of the Carita Romana.
The garden on the hill opposite, beyond the raüway-line, with
a colossal statue of Hercules ('II Gigante') in a niche, also belongs
to the estat;.