Adjoining Streets. GENOA. 18. Route. 83
piece by Sacchi (1526). The choir was added in the 15th century.
In the cloisters are ceiling-frescoes of Sibyls and Prophets and a
Madonna by Justus de Allamagna (1451; under glass).
To the N.E. is the little Piazza Embriaci (Pl. D, 6), with the
ruined Torre Embriaci, the solitary relie of a patrician castle of the
12th cent., whence the Vico dei Giustiniani returns to the Via San
Bernardo (p. 82). From the S.E. end of this street the Via San
Donato leads to the right to the piazza and church of San Donato
(Pl. E, 6), the latter a Romanesque structure of the 12th cent, (re¬
stored in 1900). The architrave and columns of the entrance show
an archaistic tendeney like those of the cathedral. In the interior
are some antique columns and (lst altar on the left) a fine Adoration
of the Magi, by the Master of the Death of the Virgin (covered).
We may proceed henee either viá the Salita Pollaiuoli to the N.E.
to the Piazza Umberto Primo (p. 84) or viá the Vico di San Donato
and the Vico del Fico to the E. to the Piano di Sant' Andrea, and
thence pass under the Gothic Porta Soprana and descend the Vico
Dritto di Ponticello to the Piazza Ponticello and the Via Venti Set¬
iembre (p. 85). No. 37, on the left side of the Vico Dritto di Ponti¬
cello, is the small Ancestral House of Columbus (Pl. E, 6; p. 90).
b. From the Harbour thiough the Via San Lorenzo to the Piazza
Umberto Primo and the Piazza Deferrari.
Near the beginning of the Via Vitt. Emanuele (p. 81) is the
busy Via San Lorenzo, running towards the S.E. It contains the
cathedral of —
*San Lorenzo (Pl. E, 5,6), founded in 985, re-erected about 1100
in the Romanesque style, restored in the Gothic style in 1307, and
provided with a Renaissance dome by Galeazzo Alessi in 1567. The
choir was modernized in 1617, and a harmonious restoration of the
interior was carried out since 1896. The lower part of the facade,
which consists of altérnate courses of black and white marble, was con¬
structed in imitation of the French Gothic churches; the two lower
of the recumbent lions which adorn it on the right and left of the
steps are modera. Only one of the towers is completed. The sculp¬
tures of the principal portal date from the end of the 13th century.
The Romanesque entrances to the aisles are richly decorated with
sculptures of the 12-14th cent, (on the N. portal, a carver's inscrip-
tion of 1342) and with archaistic ornamentation on the entablature
and capitals. A small Gothic oriel of 1402, formerly belonging to
the Hospital of St. John, has been built into the right aisle.
The Interior, to which the massive substructure of the towers forms
a kind of atrium, still retains 16 Corinthian columna from the original
Romanesque building. The upper series of columns alternating with piers,
and also the whole of the vaulting, belong to the building of 1307. On
the right, over the second aide-portal, is the monument (restored in 1906)
of Cardinal Luca Fieschi (d. 1336). — In the chapel to the right of the