82 Route 18. GENOA. a. Harbour and
Piazza Fossatello, is the oíd cathedral of San Sieo (Pl. D, E, 4),
rebuilt about 1576, with a facade of 1830, containing frescoes by
Giov. Batt. Carlone.
Then through the Via di San Luca to the Piazza Banchi, with
the Exchange (Loggia de' Banchi, Borsa; Pl. D, 5; business-hours,
11-3). — From the S. comer of the Exchange, the narrow Via
Obbfici (Pl. D, E, 5), with numerous goldsmiths' shops (a door
on the right is adorned with an Adoration of the Magi in relief,
15th cent.), and then the Piazza Soziglia (Pl. E, 5) and the Via
Luccoli, lead to the Piazza delle Fontane Marose (p. 85).
To the N. of the Piazza Soziglia is the church of Santa Maria delle
Vigne (Pl. E, 5), with three Gothic figures above the side-portal on the
right, and a tower of the 13th century. The fine interior was restored in
the late-Renaissance atyle in 1586; in the chapel to the left of the choir is a
wooden crucifix with painted statues of the Virgin and St. John, by
MurugUuno. The church is adjoined by a ruined cloister of the llth century.
— On the S. side of the Piazza Soziglia (Piazza Campetto, No. 8) is the
handsome Palazzo ImperiaU, by G. B. Castello (1560).
From the Exchange the Via San Pietro della Porta, passing the
former chuTch of San Pietro de' Banchi (1583), with its high flight
of steps, leads to the S. to the Via San Lorenzo (see p. 83).
The steep streets to the S. of the Via Vitt. Emanuele (p. 81) and
the Via San Lorenzo, in the oldest and most unsavoury part of Ge¬
noa, contain several churches of considerable artistic interest. The
Via San Giorgio, a side-street of the Via Vitt. Emanuele, and the
continuation of the above-mentioned Via San Pietro della Porta,
both lead to the Piazza San Giorgio (Pl. D, 6), on the S.E. side of
which stands the church of San Giorgio, a baroque structure with a
dome, containing a Pietá by the Spanish master, Sánchez Coello
(lst chapel to the left of the choir), and three paintings by Luca
Cambiase Adjoining it on the left is the charming little church
of San Torpete, by Ant. Rosca (1631).
A few yards to the S.W. of the latter is the Piazza Geillo Cat-
taneo, named after the Palazzo Cattaneo, which has a tasteful Re¬
naissance portal (1504) by Tamagnino and others. At the adjacent
shop, Via San Bernardo 8, is another elegant Renaissance portal.
From the Piazza Grillo Cattaneo we proceed to the S.W. by the
Vico dietio il coro di San Cosimo and then by an archway on the
right, and reach the Romanesque church of Santi Cosma e Damiano
(12th cent. ?), which contains a Madonna of the 14th cent, (left of
the high-altar). — From the end of the last-named Vico the Salita
di Santa Maria di Castello ascends to the left to the church of Santa
Maria di Castello (Pl. D, 6), a Romanesque building (perhaps of
the llth cent.), on the site of the Román castle. Above the portal
is an ancient architrave; ten of the shafts of the columns in the
freely modernized interior are also ancient. In the flrst chapel on
the left is a Román sarcophagus, used as an altar; in the second
chapel on the right is a Coronation of the Virgin by Lod. Brea; and
the third has tasteful Renaissance decorations (tiles) and an altar-