to Novara. VARALLO. 17. Route. 71
beyond the village, descend a little, and then keep on for 72 hr. on
the same level, skirting the gorge of the Pellino, which here forms a
pretty waterfall. We next ascend through wood, between weather-
beaten blocks of granite, to the (3/4 hr.) wooded Colle della Colma
(3090 ft.). An eminence to the left commands a splendid view,
embracing Monte Rosa, the lakes of Orta and Várese, and the plain
(more extensive from the Monte Briasco, 3990 ft., 8/4 hr. to the S.).
In descending (to the right), we overlook the fertile Val Sesia, with
its villages. The path leads through groves of chestnuts and walnuts
to (3/4hr.) Civiasco (2420 ft. ; several Cantine), whence a line new
road (short-cut by the oíd path to the left), affording a magniñcent
view of Mte. Rosa, winds down to (3/4 hr.) —
Varallo. — Hotels. 'Albergo d'Italia, with garden, R. 272-3, déj. 3,
D. 4, pens. 7-8 fr., incl. wine, omn. 50c. (closed Dec.-March); 'Posta,
K. 272-5, B. I72, déj. 272, D. 4, pens. 6-8, omn. 72 fr.; Pakigi; Croce
Bianca. — Hydropathic: "Splendid Park Hotel (open lst May-15th Oct.;
pens. 9-11 fr.), beyond the Mastallone bridge, with swimming-bath.
Post Office in the Palazzo di Citta. — Club Alpino (section of the
Italian Alpine Club), Piazza Nuova, with reading-room (strangers admitted).
English Church Service. — Resident English Physician.
Varallo (1480 ft.), with 2400 inhab., the terminus of the rail¬
way from Novara (p. 68) and the capital of the Val Grande, is finely
situated at the junction of the Mastallone with the Sesia, which
descends through the Val Grande from Monte Rosa.
In the Piazza Vitt. Emanuele, at the entrance to the town from
the station, is the high-lying collegiate church of San Gaudenzio.
Behind the high-altar of the church is a picture in six sections
(Mamage of St. Catharine, Pietá, and Saints) by Gaud. Ferrari
(p. 68). The church oí Santa Maria delle Grazie, at the approach
to the Sacro Monte, contains a series of *Scenes from the life of
Christ (1507-13 ; rood-screen) and other frescoes (left aisle) by this
master, while there is also an Adoration of the Child by him over
the portal of the church of Santa Maria di Loreto, about 3/4 M. from
The building of the Societaper l'Incoraggiamento alie Belle Arti,
in the Via del Santuario, contains a small picture-gallery and some
natural history collections.
The 'Sacro Monte (Santuario di Varallo; 1995 ft.), a frequented pilgrim-
resort, rising in the immediate vicinity of the town, is ascended from Santa
Maria delle Grazie (see above) in 20 min. by a paved path shaded by
beautiful chestnuts, and commands a delightful view. This lNuova Gerusa-
lemme nel Sacro Monte di Varallo' was founded in 1486 by Bernardino
Caimi, a Milanese nobleman and Franciscan monk, with the sanction of
Pope Innocent VIII.; but as a resort of pilgrims it did not become im¬
portant until after the visits of Cardinal Borromeo (p. 202). — On the top
of the hill and on its slopes are a church and 45 Chapels, or oratories,
containing scenes from sacred history in painted lifesize figures of terra¬
cotta, with supplementary frescoes, beginning with the Fall in the lst
chapel, and ending with the Entombment of the Virgin in the 45th. These
are the work of Gaudenzio Ferrari (No. 5. The Magi, *38. Crucifixión),
his pupil Bern. Lanini, Tabacchetli (d. 1615), Morazzone, Giov. d'Enrico
d'Alagna (A. 1644), and other more modern and less gifted artists. The