68 Route 16. MAGENTA.
Ferrari (1514, restored in 1902). The tower commands a wide
view. — To the S., in the Via Negroni, rises the Palazzo Bellini,
built by P. Tibaldi; the fa$ade dates from about 1680, the pretty
rococó decoration of the interior from the 18th century.
The Cathbdeal, originally an early-Christian ediflce, has been
entirely altered by rebuilding and by additions due to Antonelli.
It contains frescoes by Bern. Lanini and a Marriage of St. Catharine,
by Gaud. Ferrari. On the opposite side of the entrance-court is an
early-Romanesque Baptistery. — A few yards to the W. is a marble
statue of Charles Emmanuel III., by Marchesi.
On the S. side of the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele is the oíd Castello.
From the Tamparts, cióse by, a fine view of the Alps is obtained.
— The Biblioteca Cívica possesses two small works (angels) by
G. Ferrari. — The taste ful terracotta ornamentation (15th cent.)
on the Casa della Porta, Via Cannobio 8, should be noticed.
Tramway to Vigevano (p. 190) and to Biandrate (p. 66).
From Novara to Varallo, 34 M., railway in 274 hrs. (fares 6 fr. 40,
4 fr. 50, 2 fr. 90c). — 1072 M. Briona (710 ft.); I872 M._ Romagnano-Sesia
(p.'65), junction of the line from Turin to Arona; 2572 M. Valduggia,
station for the villaje of that ñame, 3 M. to the E., where Gaudenzio
Ferrari (ca. 1471-1564) was born; 26J/z Borgosesia (light railway to Ver¬
celli, see p. 66); 3072 M. Quarona, with a Madonna by Gaud. Ferrari in
the parish-church. — Varallo, see p. 71.
From Novara to Seregno, 3372 M., railway in I72-272 hrs. (fares
6 fr. 50, 3 fr. 65, 2 fr. 26 c). — 8 M. Turbigo, on the Naviglio Grande (see
below), with large electric works (1903). — 16 M. Busto-Arsizio (p. 5). —
18 3Í. Castellanza (p. 165). — 25 M. Saronno (p. 164). — 3372 M. Seregno
At Novara the Turin and Milán line is crossed by those from
Domodossola (p. 4) and from Arona (p.201) and Belliuzona to Genoa
(R. 30). Carriages are often changed at Novara.
6872 M. Trecate. The line crosses the Ticino by a handsome stone
bridge of eleven arches, which the Austrians partially destroyed
before the battle of Magenta. Farther on we cross the Naviglio
Grande (p. 132), anavigable canal constructed in the 13th century.
76 M. Magenta (450 ft.).
Near Magenta stands the Church of San Martino, by Perrucchetti, erected
in 1903 to commemorate the victory of the French and Sardinians over
the Austrians on 4th June, 1859, which compelled the latter to evacúate
Lombardy. Opposite the statiun, on an eminence, are a charnel-housc
and a bronze statue of MacMahon, by Luigi Secchi (1895).
The line interseets numerous rice-fields, which are kept under
water for months at a time. — 7972 M. Vittuone; 847a M. Rhb
(p. 5), where the line unites with the Simplón Railway.
93 M. Milán (see p. 128).