to Milán. NOVARA. 16. Route. 67
62 M. Novara (490 ft.; Rail. Restaurant; Alb. d'Italia, Via
Benedetto Cairoli, R. 3, omn. 3/a fr.; Hót. de la Ville, Via Gaudenzio
Ferrari, R. 272, omn. 72 fr- j Alb. TreRe, clean), the Román Novaría,
an episcopal town and formerly a fortress, with 17,600 inhab., was
the scene of a victory gained by the Austrians under Radetzky over
the Piedmontese in 1849, which led to the abdication of Charles
Albert (in the Palazzo Bellini, see p. 68).
From the station we follow the Via Garibaldi to the Piazza
Cavour. A little to the W., at the end of the Via Gaudenzio Ferrari,
rises the church of San Gaudenzio, erected about 1570 by Tibaldi,
with a dome 396 ft. high, added by Antonelli (p. 39) in 1875-78.
The church, without aisles, in imitation of Sant' Andrea at Mantua,
contains (2nd chapel to the left) a large altar -piece by Gaud.