66 Route 16. VERCELLI. From Turin
18 M. Chivasso (600 ft.; Alb. del Moro), a town with 4200 inhab.,
near the influx of the Orco into the Po. The parish-church contains
a painting by Defendente de FeTrari.
Branch Lines henee to Aosta (p. 57) and (307s M.) Cásale Monferrato
(see below). — Light Railwat from Turin (comp. p. 27) viá (14 M.)
Chivasso and (22V2 M.) Cavagnolo (oíd church of Santa Fede with Roman¬
esque carvings) to (23 M.) Brusasco (555 ft.), on the N. verge of the Colli
Torinesi (p. 29).
A road leada from Chivasso to the S. to (2 M.) San Genesio, with sul-
phur baths (Gr. Hót. San Genesio, pens. from 8 fr., open May to Nov.).
Near (25 M.) Saluggia the train crosses the impetuous Dora
Baltea (p. 54). To the left, a glimpse of the Graian Alps; then of
the Val d'Aosta. — 29 M. Livorno Vercellese.
3672 M. Santhiá (Rail. Restaurant; Alb. del Pallone), with 5200
inhabitants. The church contains an altar-piece by Gaud.Ferrari. —
Railway to Biella, see p. 64; steam-tramway to Ivrea, see p. 54.
49 M. Vercelli (430 ft.; Tre Re; León d'Oro), an episcopal
town with 17,900 inhab. From the station we see the imposing
church of Sant' Andrea, founded in 1219, with a dome and two W.
towers like those of northern churches. Interior early-Gothic. Ad-
jacent is a Museo Lapidario, with Román inscriptions and sculptures.
The chnrch of San Cristoforo contains frescoes by G. Ferrari (1532-
38) and B. Lanini; by the high-altar, *Madonna and St. Christopher
in an orchard, by Gaud. Ferrari. Santa Colerina and San Paolo
each contain a work by G. Ferrari, and there is another (a Pieta,
after Perugino) in the Istituto di Belle Arti. In the cathedral-
library are some rare oíd MSS. — To the S. of Vercelli lie the
Campi Raudii, where Marius defeated the Cimbri in B.C. 101.
Steam-tramways ply from Vercelli to Trino on the S.W., to Cásale
Monferrato (see below) on the S., to the N. to Aranco-Borgosesia (p. 68)
and to Biandrate and Fara, and to the N.W. to Biella (p. 61).
From Vercelli to Alessandria, 35 M., railway in ca. 2 hrs. (fares
6 fr. 50, 4 fr. 55, 2 fr. 95 c). — The chief intermedíate station is (1472 M.
Cásale Monferrato (380 ft.; Rosa Rosea, with steam-heating; Angelo), on
the right bank of the Po, with 18,900 inhab., the ancient capital of the
Duchy of Monferrato, which passed in 1536 to the Gonzagas (p. 258). The
interesting Romanesque Cathedral, a vaulted basílica with double aisles
and a fine atrium, was founded in 741 by the Lombard king Lintprand,
and rebuilt in 1107. It contains several good paintings (by G. Ferrari and
others), and sculptures by Lombard masters. The church of San Domenico,
in the Renaissance style, the Palazzo di Cittá, with a handsome colonnade,
and the oíd citadel of San Giorgio are also noteworthy. The Ghibelline
prince William of Montferrat, is mentioned by Dante in his Purgatory
(VII. 134). A visit may be paid from Cásale to the Sacro Monte di Crea,
a pilgrim-resort resembling the Mt. Calvary at Varallo. The chapéis con¬
tain terracotta groups by Tabacchetli and others (nearly all freely restored);
and in the church is a painting by Macrino d'Alba. — Cásale Monferrato is
the junction of the Asti-Mortara line (p. 52) and of that to Chivasso (see
above). It is also connected with Alessandria, with Vercelli (see above),
and with Montemagno (p. 52; viá Altavilla) by tramways. — Various small
stationa, including (26 M.) Valenza (p. 190). — 35 M. Alessandria, see p. 53.
From Vercelli to Pavia, see p. 190.
The train crosses the Sesia (p. 71); to the left rise the Alps,
with the magnifleent Monte Rosa eronD. — 52 M. fínrgo Vercelli.