Oí Route 14.
small inn), the highest hamlet in the Val Grisanche; then to Sevey,
Mondange, and (2 hrs.) Valgrisanche (5460 ft.; accommodation at
the Cantine du Col du Mont or at the cure''s; guideí, Sev. Pontón
and G. S. Rosier), a village prettily situated at the base of the
Rutor or Ruitor.
The ascent of the Rutor, an extensive, glacier-clad mountain with
several peaks (S. and highest peak 11,435 ft.; N. peak 11,315 ft.), either
from Valgrisanche, or better from La Thuile (p. 60), presents no serious
difficulty (guide 40 fr.). From La Thuile a bridle-path leads through the
deep and narrow Rutor valley viá La Joux to the (2 hrs.) grand "Falls of
the Rutor (6345 ft.), whence we ascend to the left to the (li/g hr.) Rifugio di
Santa Margherita T8038 ft.), situated on the Lago del Rutor, 5 min. to the
N.E. of a height (8083 ft.) commanding a magnificent *View. Thence across
the large Rutor Glacier to the (3 hrs.) Tete du Rutor (11,435 ft.), which
commands a most splendid panorama of Mont Blanc, etc. (refuge-hut of
the Italian Alpine Club on the top).
The bridle-path from Valgrisanche to Liverogne (3 hrs.) leads
through the beautifully wooded Val Grisanche, on the left bank of
the Dora di Valgrisanche, to Ceres or Serré (Hót. Frassy, rustic) and
Revers, where the river disappears for a short distance under rocks.
The hamlet of Planaval lies to the left. The valley contraéis to a
wild ravine. The path on its left side skirts a precipice high above
the roaring torrent. On the opposite bank, on an apparently in-
accessible rock, is perched the ruined castle of Montmajeur or
Tour d'Arboé. — Liverogne, see p. 59. Near Liverogne the path
quits the gorge and descends to the left through meadows and groups
of trees to the road from Courmayeur to Aosta (p. 58).
14. From Santhiá (Turin) to Biella.
I81/2 M. Railwat in ca. 1-172 hr. (fares 3 fr. 40, 2 fr. 55, 1 fr. 70 c).
From Turin to (3672 M.) Santhiá, see p. 65. The intermedíate
stations are nnimportant, but the mountain-views are fine.
1872 M. Biella. — Hotels. 'Testa Grigia; Angelo; León d'Oro;
Alb. Céntrale, all in tbe new town; Grand Hotel, with hydropathic,
in the. oíd town. — Photographs at Vittorio Sella's. — Cable Railwat to
the oíd town (10 c).
Biella, an episcopal see with 16,300 inhab., lies on the Cervo and
is divided into Biella Piazzo (1558 ft.), the high-lying oíd town, and
Biella Piano (1345 ft.), the new town. The power for the electric
lighting of the industrial new town and for its faetones is furnished
by the Chiusella(ip. 54) and the Dora (near Pont-St-Martin, p. 65).
The town possesses arcaded streets and a fine Cathedral of the
15th cent., with a facade of 1825. Near the cathedral is an early-
Christian Baptistery (9th cent.?). The church of San Sebastiano is a
handsome Renaissance structure of 1604. The palaces of the oíd
town are now tenanted by the lower classes.
About 3 M. to the N.E. of Biella, near the village of Bioglio (2235 ft.),
lies the Villa Sella, with a beautiful garden and a splendid view of the
Alps (visitors admitted).