to Courmayeur. AOSTA. 12. Route. 57
frequented pilgrimage-church of Plou. — 75 M. Quart- Villefranche
(1755 ft.), with the cháteau of Quart on a hill to the right (2485 ft.).
We then cross the Bagnere and the Buthier.
80 M. Aosta. — 'Hót. du Mont-Blanc, at the W. end of the town,
R. 3-372, B. li/j, D. 5 fr.; 'Hotel Royal Victoria, opposite the station,
R. 3-372, L. 3/4, A. 1, B. I1/2, déj. 3, D. 5, pens. incl. wine 9-12 fr., these
two open in summer only. — Second class: Albergo Corona, R. 21/2, pens.
8-10 fr., Italian, very fair, Hót. Centoz, R. 2-21/2, pens. 6-8 fr., Hót. de la
Poste, R. 2, D. 4, pens. 61/2-81/2 fr., all three in the Piazza Carlo Alberto
or market-place; Hót. Suisse, Via dell' Ospedale, R. 172-3 fr.; Ale. Alpino,
Corso Vittorio Emanuele. — Caffé-Ristorante Nazionale, in the market-place.
Beer at Zimmermann's, in the Via Saverio di Maistre, near the market-
place. Good bedrooms (3 fr.) at the ómnibus-office in the market-place. —
Ómnibus and carriages to Courmayeur, see p. 54.
Aosta (1910ft.), with 6100 inhab., the Augusta Praetoria Salas-
¡orum of the Romans and now the capital of the Italian province of
Aosta, lies at the confluence of the Buthier and the Dora Baltea.
Tbe valley was anciently inhabited by the Salaasi, a Celtic race, who
commanded the pasaage of the Great and the Little St. Bernard, the two
chief routes from Italy to Gaul. They frequently harassed the Romans in
various ways, until they were conquered in B.C. 25 by Terentius Varro,
who sold many of them as slaves at Eporedia (p. 54). To protect the roads
Varro then founded a camp, 790 yda. long and 625 yds. broad, with 20
square towers, and garrisoned it with 3000 aoldiera of the Prsetorian cohorts.
The importance of the Román Aosta is indicated by the extant remains.
From the railway-station, which lies on the S. side of the town,
the Corso Vittorio Emanuele Secondo leads past the little Giardino
Pubblico, in which is a bronze Statue of Victor Emmanuel II, 'roi
chasseur', by Tortone, on a lofty rock pedestal. Farther on we reach
the Román Town Watts, which are 2072 ft. high and preserved
almost in their entire extent, while on the S.W. side the ancient
facing and cornice are still in situ. A few paces to the right is the
Tour du Paüleron, restored in 1892.
The Corso Vitt. Emanuele II. ends at the market-place (Piazza
Carlo Alberto) with the Palazzo di Oitta, containing the collections
of the Italian Alpine Club.
From the market-place, where the main streets of the town,
still preserving the oíd Román arrangement, intersect each other,
the Via Umberto Primo leads to the well-preserved E. town-gate,
the ancient three-arched Pokta Pü^ToaiA, whence the Via Sant'
Anselmo proceeds straight on to the handsome *Honokak.y Arch
of Atjot/stus, with its ten Corinthian pilasters. We then cross the
Buthier, which has changed its channel, to the massy arch of the
oíd Román Bridge, now half-buried in the earth.
In the Borgo di Sant' Orso, the E. suburb, lies the church of
St. Oubs or Sant' Orso, founded in 425 and rebuilt in the 12th cent¬
ury. The choir contains the tomb of Bishop Gallus (d. 546) and finely
carved stalls of the 15th century. The oíd crypt is borne by Román
columns. The cloisters contain early-Romanesque columns (12th
cent.), with interesting capitals. Near the church rises a Campanile,
built of Román hewn stones in the 12th cent., opposite which are