54 Route Í2. IVREA.
101 M. San Piér d'Arena (p. 94; Rail. Restaurant, de'j. B%
D. 31/j-41/2 ír-, incl. wine). On the right are the lighthouse and
the rocky headland, mentioned on p. 91, below which the train
passes by a tunnel.
103 M. Genoa, see p. 75.
12. From Turin to Aosta and Courmayeur.
Railway to (80 M.) Aosta in 3i/v-5i/2 hrs. (fares 15 fr., 10 fr. 50, 6 fr. 75 c.;
express train in summer only). The part of the line between Ivrea and
Aosta (41V2 M.; fares 7 fr. 80, 5 fr. 45, 3 fr. 50 c.) is distinguished both by
the beauty of the scenery and the boldness of its engineering. — From
Aosta to Courmayeur, 21 M., Ómnibus 4 times daily in July and Aug. (at
other times twice daily) in 5 hrs. (return 41/2 hrs.), fare 5 fr. (outside seat
6fr.); each trnnk 1 fr. One-horse carr. 15, two-horse 25 fr. — Comp. the
Map p. 60.
From Turin to (18 M.) Chivasso, see pp. 65, 66. — The line to
Aosta here diverges to the N. from that to Milán. Between the de-
pressions of the lower mountains peep the Gran Paradiso, and to the
E., farther on, Monte Rosa. — Beyond (2672 M.) Caluso Canavese
the train traverses a tunnel below the Moraine Circus of Ivrea, the
ñame given to the chain of hills (12 M. by 18 M.) on the S. side of
the former Dora glacier, which projects in the form of a delta into
the plain of the Po. Behind the hills a mossy and swampy región
with numerous ponds marks the site of an ancient moraine-lake.
Beyond (33 M.) Strambino we ctoss the Chiusella. To the E. rises
the Serta d'Ivrea (see below).
3872 M. Ivrea (875 ft.; *Alb. Scudo di Francia, with tourist-
office, R. from 2, déj. 272, D- 4 fr-, incl. wine; Hót. Universo; Alb.
d'Italia, etc.), the capital of the Canavese, is a town with 6000 inhab.,
picturesquely situated on the Dora Baltea (Fr. Doire). The hill, 011
the slope of which it lies, is crowned by the Castello delle Quattro
Torri, built by Amadeus VI. (p. 26) in 1358, and now a prison.
Only three of the lofty brick towers remain, the fourth having been
destroyed by lightning in 1676. The Cathedral, a building of an¬
cient origin but frequently restored, is adjoined by cloisters of the
10-llth centuries. An ancient sarcophagus adorns the adjoining
Piazza. In the Palazzo Municipale is the small Museo Garda, with
ethnographical collections from E. Asia. — Ivrea, the ancient Epo-
redia, was colonised by the Romans, B.C. 100, in order to command
the Alpine routes over the Great and Little St. Bernard. Of tbe
marquises of Ivrea the best-known are Berengar II. (d. 966) and
Arduin (d. 1016), who obtained the Italian crown at Pavia (p. 202).
Pleasant walk to the Madonna del Monte (pilgrimage-church) and the
Lago Sirio or Lago di San Giuseppe.
Steam-tramway from Ivrea in 2 hrs. to (I8V2M.) Santhiá (p. 66; farej
1 fr. 80, 1 fr. 50 c). The line runs near the S.W. edge of the Serra, a
hilly ridge 10 M. in length, the longest moraine in Europe, at one time
the lateral moraine of the glacier of the Dora valley.
The train penetrates the hill on which Ivrea stands by means of
a tunnel, 1200 yds. long, and ascends the fertile valley of the Dora.