to Genoa. ALESSANDRIA. 11. Route. 53
and fertile. Near Alessandria the line to Bellinzona and Arona
(R. 30) diverges to the N. We cross the Tanaro.
5672 M. Alessandria (310ft.; Rail. Restaurant; Hót. de l'Europe,
R. from 272, omn. 3/4 fr., very fair; Hót. Grand Mogol et des Etran-
gers, well spoken of; Alb. di Londra), an industrial town with
35,900 inhab., situated on the Tanaro in a well-watered district, is
the capital of a province. It was founded in 1168 by the Lombard
towns allied against the Emp. Frederick Barbarossa, and named
after Pope Alexander III.
Alessandria being a junction of several lines, carriages are generally
cbanged here. Railway to Vercelli via Valenza, see p. 66; viá Novara to
Bellinzona nnd to Arona, see pp. 190, 189; to Milán viá Mortara and Vige-
vano, see p. 190; to Pavia viá Torre Berretli, see p. 205; to Piacenza,
Parma, Bologna, etc. see RR. 49 and 50; to Bra (Cavallermaggiore), see
p. 50. Branch line to Ovada (p. 52) under construction.
Steam Tramways from Alessandria viá Marengo to Sale (p. 206), to
Casale-Monferrato (p. 66), to Mandrogne viá Spinetta (p. 357), and to Monte-
magno (p. 66).viá Allavilla.
From Alessandria to Savona (viá Acqui), 65 M., in about 41/4-41/2 hrs.
(fares 12 fr. 20, 8 fr. 55, 5 fr. 50 c). — As far as (5 M.) Cantalupo the line
is the same as to Bra (see p. 50). — 21 M. Acqui, also a station on the
railway from Asti to Ovada and Genoa (see p. 52). — The line ascends the
valley of the Bormida, passing through ten tunnels. Stations of little im-
portance. 52 M, San Giuseppe di Cairo, see p. 51. — 65 M. Savona, see p. 96.
The line quits the Tanaro valley and crosses the Bormida. About
1 l¡i M. to the E. of the bridge, in the plain between the Bormida and
the Scrivia, lies the village of Marengo, near which, on 14th June,
1800, Napoleón defeated the Austrians in a momentous battle.
6972 M. Novi Ligure (645 ft.; Hót. Novi), a town with 17,900 in¬
hab., commanded to the right by hills with a belvedere-tower, was
the scene of a victory gained by the Austrians and Russians under
Suvoroff over the French on 15th Aug., 1799.
Branch-line to Pavia and Milán viá Torlona and Voghera, see R. 32.
Steam-tramway to Ovada, see p. 52.
At (74 M.) Serravalle Scrivia the train enters a mountainous
región. — 77 M. Arquata (820 ft.), with a ruined castle. Between
this and Genoa there are twenty-four tunnels. The train threads
its way through rocky ravines (la Bocchetta) and over lofty embank-
ments, crossing the Scrivia several times. Scenery imposing. —
83 M. Isola del Cantone; on the hill to the right a ruined castle.
At Ronco the oíd line viá Busalla, which some trains follow, diverges
to the left from the main line. Beyond Busalla it passes three manu-
facturing places on the left bank of the Polcevera (see below): Pontedécimo
(tramway to Genoa, p. 77), with jute-spinning and weaving industries,
Bolzaneto, with a sugar-refinery ;\nd a corn-mill, and R'ivarolo, with a
sugar-refinery and a soap-factory. — 15'/2 M. San Pier d'Arena (p. 54).
The main line enters the Ronco Tunnel, npwards of 5 M. in
length, and then descends the narrow Polcevera Valley through num¬
erous viaducts and cuttings. — 9172 M. Mignanego; 9572 M. San
Quirico. The valley expands; its well-cultivated slopes are dotted
with the summer-villas of the Genoese. — We cross the river.