44 Route 8. TORRE PELLICE.
appears the abbey of Sagra di San Michele (p. 3). — From Bus-
soleno a short branch-line (4!/2 M., in t/4 hr.) runs to Susa (1625 ft.;
Solé), a small and ancient town, the Román Segusio, picturesquely
situated on the right bank of the Dora. A garden on the W. side of
the town contains a Triumphal Aich, 44 ft. in height, 39 ft. in width,
and 24 ft. in depth, with projecting Corinthian columns at the cor-
ners and sacrificial scenes on the frieze, erected according to the in-
scription in A.D. 8 to Augustus. There are also a few other Román
relies. The church oí San Giusto dates from the llth century. On
the opposite bank of the Dora rises the ruined castle of Brunetta.
d. Feom Tuein to Toree Pellioe, 34 M., railway in 2-272 hrs.
(fares 4 fr. 45, 3 fr., 1 fr. 95 c). — The train diverges from the
Genoa line (p. 51) at Sangone and turns to the S.W. — 15^2 M.
Airasca (850 ft.), whence a branch runs viá Moretta (p. 45) and
Saluzzo (p. 45) to Cuneo (43 M.; p. 46). — 2372 M. Pinerolo,
Fr. Pignerol (1234 ft.; Campana; Cannone d'Oro, well spoken of),
a town with 12,600 inhab., long the residence of the Acaia family
in the middle ages, contains an oíd Cathedral (llth cent.). A new
vault (1898) in the church of San Maurizio contains the tombs of
eight princes of Savoy (1334-1490). A little to the E., above the
road to Riva, is the convent of Monte Oliveto, in the possession of
French Carthusian monks since 1903 (comp. p. 449).
A steam-tramway runs henee viá Cavour (985 ft.) to Saluzzo (see p. 46).
Cavour, from the 17th cent, onwards the seat of the now extinct Counts
of Cavour, lies at the foot of the Rocca (1505 ft.), an isolated granite cone. —
Another steam-tramway runs from Pinerolo to Perosa Argentina (2015 ft.),
in the Val Chisone, whence a diligence pliea to Perrero (2795 ft.) and
Fenestrelle (3785 ft.).
29 M. Bricherasio (branch-line to Barge, see below). — 34 M.
Torre Péllice, Fr. La Tour (1695 ft.; Orso, very fair; Leone; Pens.
Bel-Air, 6-7 fr.; Pens. Suisse, 6 fr.; Pens. Bellevue, 5-6 fr.), a town
of 4000 inhab. and the capital of the Waldensian Valleys.
The Waldensian Valleís (Vallées Vaudoises), adjoining the French
frontier, were the home of those well-known Protestant communities (about
25,000 souls) who have resided here for upwards of six centuries and were
formerly so cruelly persecuted. The language of the valleys is French.
After Torre Pellice the chief settlements are Luserna, Villar, and Bobbio
Pellice (2400 ft.; Hót. Flora; Hót. Michelin), all three in the valley of the
Pellice; Angrogna (2565 ft.), in the beautiful valley of the same ñame to
the N. of Torre Pellice; San Germano (1595 ft.), in the Val Chisone; and
Perrero (see above), in the Val Germanasca.
e. From Turin to Crissolo. Railway to (37y2 M.) Barge in
2i/2 hrs. (5 fr. 10, 3 fr. 25, 2 fr. 10 c). — Our line diverges to the
S. at (29 M.) Bricherasio (see above) from that to Torre Pellice. —
From Barge roads lead in one direction to Revello (p. 46; diligence
twice daily), and in the other to (3 M.) Paesana(j>. 46) and up the
valley of the Po to (9y2 M.; diligence twice daily) Crissolo, Fr.
Crussol (4375 ft.; Alb. della Corona, R. from iy2 fr.; guide, Ant.
Gilli and others). Near Crissolo is the Caverna del Rio Martino
(guide and illumination of the cave, 5 fr.), a dolomite ravern.