LANZO TORINESE. 8. Route. 43
R. 3!/2 fr.). In the neighbouThood is the pretty waterfall of the
Noaschetta. — A road (41/2 M.) leads from Noasca through the wild
gorge of the Orco (the 'Scalarí or 'Scalee di Ceresole') to —
Ceresole Beale (4905 ft.; *Grand Hotel, R. from 3i/2, B. I1/4,
déj. 3, D. 4, pens. incl. wine 12 fr.; Hót.-Pens. Bellagarda, pens.
from 8 fr., well spoken of; Alb. Levanna, plain), a village with
300 inhab., situated in a wide valley at the N.E. base of the four-
peaked Levanna (11,875 ft.), is frequented as a summer-resort and
possesses a chalybeate spring.
Excursions (guides, Paolo Colombo, Barí. Rolando, 5-6 fr. per day; mulé
and driver 10 fr). Viá Grosso and through fine fir-woods to the (1 hr.) Alpi
Crusionay (5808 ft.), the (1 hr.) Alpi Liel, and the (25 min.) Laghetti della
Bellagarda (7340 ft.), on the N.E. slope of the Monte Bellagarda (9642 ft.).
— Via Frera to the (2 hrs.) Lago di Dres (6830 ft.), affording a fine view of
the Levannetta (11,280 ft.). — From the (1/2 hr.) Parrocchia (p. 59) to the
(2V2 hrs.) Alpi di Nel and the Lago di Nel (7800 ft.), at the foot of the vast
Nel Glacier. — Over the Col de Nivolet to Val Savaranche (with ascent of
the Gran Paradiso) and Villeneuve (Aosta), see p. 59; to Cogne, see p. 63.
b. From Turin to Lanzo, 20 M., railway in l-li/^hr. (fares
3 fr. 35, 2 fr. 25, 1 fr. 50 c), starting from the Via Ponte Mosca
(Pl. E, 1). — 41/2 M. Venaría Reale, with the ruins of a royal hunt-
ing-cháteau, at the influx of the Ceronda into the Stura. The train
crosses both streams and ascends the valley of the latter. •— 13 M.
Cirie (1130 ft.; León d'Oro, etc.), with a 13th cent. Gothic church.
20 M. Lanzo Torinese (1770 ft. ; Posta; Europa; Rail. Restau¬
rant) , prettily situated on a hill, with a ruined castle, and sur-
rounded with villas. The Ponte del Roe, which crosses the Stura
near Lanzo with an arch 120 ft. in width, was built in 1378.
To the N. of Lanzo opens the pretty valley of the Tesso, the chief
place in which is Coassolo Torinese (2395 ft.; Alb. d'Italia, etc.); on the
Monte Bastía, H/2 hr. to the W., is the Santuario di Sant Ignazio (3060 ft.).
Lanzo is the best starting-point for excursions in the three Valleys
of the Upper Stura (omn. in summer to Usseglio, Balme, and Forno). The
southernmost of these is the Valle diViü, witli the villages of F¿«(2475ft.;
Alb.-Ristor. Marchis; Corona Reale; Alb. di Viü), Lemie (3150 ft.; Stella;
San Michele), and Usseglio (4100ft.; Alb. di Francia; Cibrario; etc.). The
Rifugio Pera Caval (8465 fi.), between the Monte Lera (11,010 ft.) and the
Croce Rossa (11,700 ft.), lies 4 hrs. to the W. — In the middle is the Valle
d'Ala, which diverges from the N. or chief valley at Ceres (2310 ft.; Alb. di
Ceres; Italia), and contains tbe villages of Ala di Stura (3545 ft.; Bruneri)
and Balme (4785 ft.; Alb. Reale; Belvedere). Between the two villages are
the fine waterfall of the Gorgia di Mondrone, the Albergo Broggi (5605 ft.)
on the Piano della Mussa (near the Testa Ciarva and Rocca Ñera, of interest
to geologists), and the Rifugio Gaslaldi (8690 ft.), the starting-point for the
ascenta of the Ciamarella (12,060 ft.; guide from Balme 15-20 fr.) and the
Bessanese (11,915 ft.; difficult; guide 25 fr.). — Through the northernmost,
or Valle Grande, a road ascenda viá Chialamberto (2805 ft.; Posta; Albero
Fiorito) and Groscavallo (3615 ft., Piapetta; di Groscavallo) to Forno Alpi
Graie (3935 ft.; Alb. delle Alpi), at the S.E. base of Monte Levanna (see
above). About V2 hr. to the S. is the pilgrimage-church Santuario della
Madonna del Forno; and 2>/2 hrs. to the W. is the Rifugio della Gura
(7315 ft.). — For ascents and passes to Savoy, see Baedeker's Southern Frunce
and C. Ratti's Guida nelle Valli di Lanzo (Casanova; Turin, 1904).
c. From Tuein to Susa. — To (28 M.) Bussoleno by the Mont
Cenis Railway, see pp. 3,2. To the left, above Sant' Ambrogio,