fo Milán. G ALL ARATE. 2. Route. 5
44 M. Pallanza-Fondo Toce; the station lies 4 M. to the W. of
Pallanza (p. 197), on the road from Locarno to the railway-station
of Gravellona (p. 69; motor-omnibus, see p. 192).
Crossing the Tosa by a three-arched iron bridge, 160 yds. long,
at Feriólo (p. 198), the train now reaches the Lago Maggiore. —
Between the tunnels beyond (47 M.) Baveno (p. 198) we obtain, to
the left, a charming *View of the Borromean Islands (p. 199), in
the middle of the W. bay of the lake, and of Suna and Pallanza on
the opposite bank.---50 M. Stresa (p. 200); 53V2 M. Belgirate
(p. 201); 541/2 M. Lesa (p. 201); 57 M. Mana (p. 201). All these
are also steamboat-stations (comp. p. 201).
60 M. Arona, see p. 201. — Aiona is the junction for lines to
Turin viá Santhiá (R. 15) and to Genoa viá Novara (R. 30).
Our line now rounds the S. end of the Lago Maggiore and crosses
*the Ticino by the bridge mentioned on p. 189. — 63!/2 M. Sesto
Calende (p. 189) is the junction for the line to Bellinzona and Genoa.
68 M. Vergiate. — 70V2 M- Somma Lombardo (920 ft.), with a
venerable cypress 95 ft. in height, lies near the E. bank of the Ticino
(Ticinus), where Hannibal overthrew P. Cornelius Scipio in B.C.
218. On the neighbouring heath (brughiera) is a large manceuvre-
ground, with a camp. — 72V2 M. Casorate Sempione.
75 M. Gallarate (780 ft.; Alb. León d'Oro), a town with 9600 in-
hab., at the S.E. base of a range of hills bounding the Lombard
plain, contains the Romanesque church of Sara Pietro (llth cent.)
and a technical school, and carries on manufactures of textile fabrics.
It is the junction for the elcctric railway from Milán to Porto Ceresio
(R. 28) and for a branch-line to Laveno (comp. p. 185).
At Vizzola, 6 M. to the W. of Gallarate, beyond the heath mentioned
above, are very large '-Electric Works (1S,000 horse-power), erected on
the Ticino in 1898-1901. Water-power is conducted hither from tbe dam
at Somma Lombardo (see above) by means of the Cana le Industríale, 4'/2 M.
in length. Electric power is disíributed from this centre to Sesto Calende,
Gallarate, Saronno, and other neighbouring places. — Another electric
work, at Tornavento, 7 M. to the S.W. of Gallarate, supplies the current
for the electric railway to Porto Ceresio.
791/2 M. Busto Arsizio (Alb. del Vapore), a town with 17,600 in-
hab. and cotton-factories. The domed church of Santa Maria, built
in 1517 by Lonati from Bramante's designs, contains frescoes by
Gaud. Ferrari. Branch-line to Novara and Seregno (p. 68).
82i/2 M. Legnano (650 ft.; 18,300 inhab.), with cotton-factories
and machine-shops, where Frederick Barbarossa was defeated by
the Milanese in 1176, an event commemorated by a large monu-
ment, by E. Butti (1900), in the Piazza Federico Barbarossa. The
church of San Magno, ascribed to Bramante, contains a large altar-
piece, one of the best works of Luini.
91 M. Rhb (520 ft.; p. 68), with silk-factories and the church
of the Madonna dei Miracoli by Pellegrino Tibaldi (1584; facade
1721, dome 1752-55). — 96 M. Musocco (p. 161).
100 M. Milán, see p. 128.