PRATO. 52. Route. 363
of John the Baptist and St. Stephen by Fra Fiiippo Lippi, the finest
work of this master (d. 1469): on the right (above) Birth and Naming of
the Baptist; his Withdrawal to the wilderness and his Preaching; Dance
of the daughter of Herodias; by the window, on the right: Beheading
of St. John; above it a saint. On the left wall of the choir (above):
Birth of St. Stephen, his Ordination and care for the poor; Stoning and
Interment (among the admirable portrait-figures are Cardinal Carlo de1
Medici, and, to .the extreme right, the portrait of the painter himself).
The continuation of the scene of the Stoning is on the window-wall;
above it a saint; on the ceiling Evangelists (best light in the forenoon).
The chapel to the left of the choir contains unimportant frescoes of the
14th century. The chapel to the right is embellished with frescoes by
Stamina and Ant. Viti (14th cent.): to the right scenes from the life of
the Virgin, to the left scenes from the life of St. Stephen. On the right
is the ;:Death of St. Bernard, also by Fiiippo Lippi. The side-chapel on
the left, and the second on the right, contain frescoes in Giotto's style,
but much retouched. — In the S. transept a "Statue of the Madonna (in
clay), and a Pieta (relief, in marble), by the brothers Da Majano (1480).
— Handsome round 'Pulpit, resting on sphinxes and snakes, by Mino da
Fiesole and Rossellino, adorned with admirable reliefs (1473).
The campanile, in the Lombard style, is by Nic. di Cecco (1340).
The Via dei Sarti, usually called the 'Corso', leads from the
cathedral to the Palazzo Comunale, which contains a small picture-
gallery on the first floor (fee Y2fr.).
2. Taddeo Gaddi, History of the Holy Girdle; Fra Fiiippo Lippi, 11.
Madonna with St. Thomas, etc., 12. Nativity, 21. Madonna with John
the Baptist; 16. Filippino Lippi, Madonna with John the Baptist and
St. Stephen; 19. Andrea da Firenze, Madonna and saints; 21, 22. Fra
Fiiippo Lippi, Madonna and saints, with predella; 18. Giovanni da Milano,
Madonna with saints (14th cent.); two terracotta reliefs.
The Palazzo Pretorio opposite is of the 13th century.
The prolongation of the Via dei Sarti leads to the piazza and
church of S. Francesco; the chapter-house contains mural paint¬
ings by Niccolb di Pietro Gerini and Lorenzo di Niccolb (14th cent.).
The fine cloisters adjoining contain a monument of 1460. — The
street to the left of the church leads to the piazza and church of —
S. Maria delle Carceri, erected in 1485-92 by Giuliano da
Sangallo, in the form of a Greek cross, with barrel-vaulting and
dome. The interior of the dome is adorned with a fine terracotta
frieze and medallions of the Evangelists. The high-altar is by
Antonio da Sangallo. The small choir, to the right of the altar,
contains some very handsome stalls.
From the Palazzo Comunale the Via de' Bauchi leads to the
church of S. Domenico, which was built in the 13th and restored
in the 17th century. — In the Via della Madonna, No. 4, is the
Palazzo Novellucci with two fine bronze dragons by the windows.
Not far from the cathedral, in the Via Borgo al Cornio, is the
little church of S. Lodovico (called also S. Vergine del buon Consi¬
glio], with a *Relief by Andrea della Robbia (generally shut,
sacristan in Via S. Fabiano 219). — A small shrine at the corner
of the Via S. Margherita contains a Madonna by Fra Fiiippo Lippi
(key in the neighbourhood).
From Prato to Florence a Steam Tramway runs 8 times daily; fares
1 fr. 10 c. or 80 c.