360 Route 52. PISTOJA. From Pisa
stalls. — In the Cappella S. Jacopo (right of the choir) a rich "Silver
Altar executed in the 14th and 15th cent, (covered); in a niche above is a
sitting statue of St. James, surrounded by apostles and prophets, wrought
in silver, and gilded, by Simone di Ser Memmo and other masters, in the
middle of the 14th cent.; below is a large silver tableau with wings; in
the centre fifteen reliefs of subjects from the New Testament and apostles,
by Andrea di Jacopo d'Ognabene of Pistoja (1316); the wings consist of
ten reliefs on the left, from the Old and New Testament by Piero da
Firenze (1357) and on the right from the life of St. James by Leonardo di
Ser Giovanni, pupil of Orcagna (1371). About 446 lbs. of silver are said
to have been used in the execution of this work of art. — The Crypt,
borne by six columns, is also modernised.
The campanile was originally a fortified tower, called Torre
del Podesta, and still bears the arms of governors of the town.
The three series of arches were added in Pisan fashion when the
tower was adapted to its present purpose.
Opposite the cathedral is the octagonal *Battistero [San Gio¬
vanni Battista; PL 3), erected after 1339 by Cellino di Nese in the
Italian-Gothic style, according to Vasari from a design by Andrea
Pisano. On the exterior is a pulpit. The large square font (older
than the building, and probably dating from 1256) is embellished
with richly-decorated slabs (others of the same kind on the wall
to the right). The principal portal is also worthy of notice.
Adjacent is the *Palazzo Pretorio (PL 4), formerly del Podesta,
a building of the 14th cent. , now containing the courts of justice.
The quadrangle is enclosed by four round arches; the arcades are
adorned with numerous painted armorial bearings of the Podesta's,
remarkable for their admirable heraldic style, restored in 1844.
To the left of the entrance are the stone table and seats of the an¬
cient tribunal, bearing the inscription of 1507 :
Hie locus odit, amat, punit, conservat, honorat,
Nequitiam, leges, crimina, jura, probos.
The piazza is adorned with a Statue of Cardinal Forteguerra (PL
5) , erected in 1863. — Opposite the Pal. Pretorio is the Palazzo
del Comune (PL 6 ; originally degli Anziani), erected in the Itali¬
an Gothic style in 1294-1385, with a vestibule. In the interior are
frescoes by Gianicola and his pupils , and a relief in marble of the
school of Verrocchio, 1484, representing *Angels with armorial
Passing between the cathedral and the Pal. del Comune (by
the Via S. Bartolommeo), we next visit the church of S. Bartolom¬
meo in Pantano (PL 7), a Lombard edifice with open roof, borne
by twelve columns, with very varied capitals, and two buttresses.
The sculptures on the facade by Rudolfinus represent Christ and
the Apostles, 1167; pulpit, borne by two lions, and the statue of
the sculptor, with eight reliefs from the history of Christ, by Guido
da Como, 1250. — The Via Porta Guidi to the right leads hence
to the —
Ospedale del Ceppo (PL 8), erected in 1277, and afterwards
restored, with a long *Frieze consisting of reliefs in terracotta, col-