to Florence. BAGNI DI LUCCA. 52. Route. 357
Chemist, Lencioni. Shops poor.) Adjoining the Hotel Pagnini on the
Lima, is the royal casino Ridotti. A little farther on, at the entrance to
the side valley, is the Nuovo Ospedale, built by Prince Demidoff.
Beautiful avenues ascend gradually from the Ponte a Serraglio to the
villages of Villa (1 M.; "Hdtel Vittoria; Hdt. du Parc, 'pens.' 6-8 fr.;
Pavilion; Queen Victoria, all with gardens; Betti, English chemist), and
Bagni Caldi (3/\ M.; pleasant apartments; physician, Prof. Carina of Pisa).
— To the baths of Lucca belong also the establishments of Bernabb (com¬
fortable; named after an inhabitant of Pistoja cured here in the 16th cent.),
Docce Bassi, and S. Giovanni. The quietest and pleasantest apartments are
to be hired at the Bagni alia Villa.
The valley of the Lima is cool and well-shaded, chiefly with chest¬
nut trees, and. is a healthy summer-residence, affording pleasant walks.
Beautiful excursions may also be taken among the mountains, such as to
the village of Lugliano, and to the watch-tower of Bargilio (on donkey-
back; fatiguing), which on clear days commands an extensive view over
land and sea. — Boscolungo (p. 333) may be reached hence in about 6 hrs.
(carr. and pair 40-45, including an extra horse for ascending the hill).
The Railway to Pistoja at first traverses the plain to the E.
A little to the S. lies the Lago di Bientina. 19 M. Porcari; 22 M.
Altopascio; 25 M. S. Salvatore.
27!/2 M. Pescia (Posta), a small town, situated about l^M. to
the N. on the river of that name , which the railway crosses , in a
beautiful district, with silk and paper manufactories. The Cathe¬
dral has remains of a facade of 1306 and a fine monument of Bald-
assare Turrini by Raffaele da Montelupo, a pupil of Michael Angelo.
30 M. Borgo a Buggiano.
32M. Monte Catini(*Grand Hotel de la Paix, R. from 3, D. 5,
B. 1, A. 1 fr., L. 60c. ; *Laconda Maggiore, similar charges; Alb.
Gabbrielli, less expensive ; also numerous pensions), where Uguc-
cione della Faggiuola (p. 352) defeated the Florentines on 29th
Aug., 1315. The warm baths Bagni di Monte Catini (*Corona
d'ltalia, 'pens.' 8 fr.) in the vicinity are well fitted up and attract
The line intersects the rich valley of the Nievole. — 33 M.
Pieve a Nievole. To the right, Monsummano on a conical eminence,
with warm springs, and a Monument to Giuseppe Giusti, erected by
Fantacchiotti in 1879. Near it is a Grotto with hot vapour, dis¬
covered in 1852, famous for the cures of rheumatism, gout, and
paralysis which it has effected. The new Curhaus is well fitted up
('pension' 14-15 fr., baths included). — The train now passes
through a tunnel and reaches (36y2 M.) Serravalle, which was an
important frontier-fortress during the wars between Lucca and
Pistoja. — 40!/2 M. Pistoja.
Pistoja. — Albergo di Londra & del Globo, R. 2'/2, D. 4fr., with
tolerable trattoria; Alb. Regina dTnghilterra; both in the Piazza Cino. —
Albergo & Trattoria Rossini, Via Cavour, opposite the church of S.
Giovanni, unpretending. — Caffe del Globo.
Cab with one horse 60, with two horses 80 c. per drive; to or from