to Florence. LUCCA. 52. Route. 353
the Magi, of Pisano's school. The church is entered by three doors
of carved wood, that in the centre being the finest.
The Interior, in the form of a Latin cross, with nave and aisles
91 yds. in length, transept 39, and nave 28 yds. in width, has a clerestory
(with large windows and rich tracery) over the aisles and carried across
the transept, which it also intersects longitudinally (transept apparent¬
ly narrower than projected); and it received various Gothic additions in
the 14th cent., especially in the arches of the transept. Above the aisles
are galleries. The old frescoes on the vaulting were restored in 1858.
The stained glass in the side-windows is modern, those in the choir
by Pandolfo di Ugolino da Pisa. — 1st Altar on the right, Nativity by Passi-
gnano; 2nd, Adoration of the Magi, F. Zucchero; 3rd, Last Supper, Tinto¬
retto; 4th, Crucifixion, Passignano; ''Pulpit by Matteo Givitali (14S8). — In
the Sacristy a *Madonna with SS. Clement, Peter, Paul, and Sebastian,
with predella by Dom. Ghirlandajo. — "La Croce dei Pisani, beautifully
executed in 1350 by Bettuccio Baroni, in silver, gilded, originally belonged
to the Pisans, but was carried off by the inhabitants of Lucca (not shown
except by special permission, to be procured on the previous day).
The Right Transept contains the beautiful marble ^Monument of Pietro
a Noceto, secretary of Pope Nicholas V.,by Matteo Civitali (1472); by the same
master, on the wall to the right, is the portrait of Count Domenico Bertini
(1479) ; also in the following Cappella del Sagramento (enclosed by a rail¬
ing) two 'Angels in an attitude of adoration and (adjoining the choir) the
* Altar of St. Regulus, with St. Sebastian and John the Baptist and beautiful
basreliefs (1484). To the left of the choir the 'Altar op Liberty1, which
Lucca recovered in 1369 from Emp. Charles IV. (inscription: Christo
liberatori atque divis tutelaribus), with a Resurrection by Giov. da Bologna
(1579). On the wall St. Petronilla, by Daniele da Volterra. In the
following Cappella del Santuakio , a Madonna with SS. Stephen and
John by Fra Bartolommeo (1509): 'a noble picture this, full of gentle ele¬
gance, Leonardesque in science and in execution, and graced with the
prettiest finesses of the brush, bathed in a warm and airy vapour, and
firm of outline and touch' (C. & C). The decorations of the pilasters are
by Civitali. — The Left Transept contains the ^Sarcophagus of Ilaria del
Carretto (d. 1405), by Jacopo della Quercia, 'the earliest work that can
be unreservedly described as Renaissance'.
In the Nave is *Il Tempietto , a small octagonal chapel of marble,
partially gilded, erected in 1484 by M. Civitali, and containing the Volto
Santo di Lucca, an ancient crucifix in cedar-wood, said by tradition to
have been made by Nicodemus, and to have been transferred in a mira¬
culous manner from the Holy Land to Lucca in 782. It is shown publicly
three times a year only. The embroidery on the red curtain is a faith¬
ful copy of the sacred relic behind it. In front of the entrance is suspend¬
ed a candelabrum of solid gold, 24 lbs. in weight, presented by the inhab¬
itants of Lucca in 1836, when the approach of the cholera was dreaded.
On the opposite side a statue of St. Sebastian, also by Civitali.
In the Left Aisle, 5th altar (from the entrance), Visitation of the Virgin,
by Jacopo Ligozzi. — Over the 2nd altar, Presentation in the Temple, by
A. Allori. On the left of the entrance, Descent from the Cross, and St.
Nicodemus carving the Volto Santo, frescoes by Cosimo Rosselli. On the
pavement of the nave, inlaid work of coloured stones, representing Solo¬
At the back of the cathedral is the Archiepiscopal Palace, and
beyond it the small Gothic chapel of Sta. Maria della Rosa (1333).
S. Giovanni (PL 4; D, 3), near the cathedral, is a basilica of
the 12th cent., with aisles and transept. The facade is modern, with
the exception of the portal, over which there is a relief of the
Madonna with the Apostles of the 12th cent., and groups of animals
on the right and left. In the interior the flat coffered ceiling is