Academy. PISA. 57. Route. 349
Belle Arti (PI. 1 ; D, 3), founded by Napoleon in 1812, and recently
transformed, into a Scuola Tecnica-Industriale. The second floor
contains a chronologically-arranged collection of pictures, chiefly of
the earlier Tuscan schools. It is, however, of little value to the
student of art, as Messrs. Crowe and Cavalcaselle and other au¬
thorities deny the accuracy of most of the names attached to the
Room II. Barnaba da Modena, Madonna in trono (1370); Francesco
Traini, St. Dominic; Simone Martine (?), Part of a large altar-piece. —
Room III. Old drawing after Benozzo Gozzolis fresco of the 'Queen of Sheba
visiting Solomon' in the Campo Santo (p. 347). In the centre, a Gothic
candelabrum. — Rooms IV., V., and VI. contain works by masters of the
end of the 15th and of the 16th century. Also in Room IV., a Madonna
by Sodoma; in Room VI., a St. Catharine, by a Flemish painter. —
Room VII. Sketches of the pictures in the cathedral, old missals and
breviaries, tapestry. — Room VIII. Portraits of the ladies of the old
grand-ducal court. — On the staircase: Portraits of the Grand-Dukes of
Farther on are S. Frediano (PL 23), with ancient columns in the
interior, and the University (p. 350).
In the N.E. Quarter of the town the churches of S. Caterina
and S. Francesco deserve notice.
S. Caterina (PL 17; E, 2), which was erected about 1253,
possesses an interesting Pisan facade in the Gothic style.
Interior. To the left of the entrance the monument of Archbishop
Simone iSaltarelli, by Nino Pisano, 1342. Altar-piece (3rd on the left) of
St. Thomas Aquinas, with his glory, by Francesco Traini, 1341. In the
1st chapel to the right of the choir, a Madonna with SS. Peter and Paul
by Fra Bartolommeo and Mariotto Albertinelli.
The church stands in a pleasant piazza, shaded with plane-
trees, and embellished with a Statue of the Grand Duke Leopold I.
(d. 1792), in Roman garb, by Pampaloni, erected in 1832.
S. Francesco (PI. 10; E, F, 3) contains frescoes in the choir
by Taddeo Gaddi (1342). Its cloisters are richly embellished with
columns dating from the close of the 15th cent. Handsome cam¬
In and near the Lung-Arno are several other interesting build¬
ings with which we may terminate our walk. In the Via del Borgo,
close to the Ponte di Mezzo (p. 343), rises —
S. Michele in Borgo (Pi. 29; E, 4), a church in the Gothic
style of the 13th cent., which is said to have been designed by
Niccolb Pisano (but more probably by his pupil Fra Guglielmo), with
an ancient crypt, supposed to occupy the site of a heathen temple.
The mosaic flooring in S. Pierino (PL 32; E, 4) is of early
Christian origin, and some of the columns are antique.
In the Lung-Arno Mediceo (to the E. of the Ponte di Mezzo) is
the Palazzo Lanfranchi (now Toscanelli), attributed to Michael
Angelo, and occupied by Lord Byron in 1822.
In the Lung-Arno Regio (to the W. of the Ponte di Mezzo)
rises the *Palazzo Agostini, a fine Gothic brick edifice of the 15th
cent., on the ground-floor of which the Caffe dell' Ussero is now