348 Route 51. PISA. S. Stefano.
surrounded by four of his counsellors. — XXX. Sarcophagus with the
hunt of Meleager. — XXXII. Sarcophagus with a battle of barbarians.
— XXXIII. Sarcophagus with a representation of the nine Muses.
E. End. 134. Griffin in bronze with Coptic inscriptions. — Sarcophagus
of Ph. Dezio (d. 1535) by Stagi. Statue of Leonardo Fibonacci by G.
Pagganucci. — 136. Pedestal with the seven arts, bearing a saint with a
pair of scales, by Giovanni Pisano. — Monument of Count Mastiani, with
the sitting statue of his inconsolable widow, by Bartolini, 1842. — Beyond
it the large monument of Gregory XIII. (d. 1585). 139, 141. Etruscan
altar with rams1 heads at the corners. — Monument of the singer Angelica
Catalani (d. at Paris 1849), by Costoli. — Statue of Niccolo Pisano by Salvini.
— Monument of the minister Salvagnoli by Fantacchiotti. — By the inner
wall of the passages are a number of Roman and rude early Christian
sarcophagi (e.g. LXXVI. and LXXVIL). — In the open space between
the arcades two antique fountain-spouts.
A visit to the Campo Santo by moonlight is very impressive (notice
must be given to the custodian previously).
The traveller will hardly care to devote much time to the other
works of art at Pisa, but he will be amply rewarded by taking a
short walk through the town in order to obtain an idea of the
extent to which building enterprise was carried at Pisa in the
The central part of ancient Pisa, and the forum of the republic,
is now the Piazza dei Cavalieri (PL D, 3), formerly degli Anziani,
which was remodelled in the 16th and 17th centuries. In this
piazza rises —
S. Stefano ai Cavalieri (PI. 18), the church of the knights of
the Order of St. Stephen, begun from designs by Vasari in 1565;
interior completed 1596 ; facade designed by Buontalenti. It contains
Turkish trophies on the right and left of the door, and ceiling-
paintings of the battle of Lepanto (1571) and other victories over
the Turks, by Cristoforo Allori, Jacopo da Empoli, and others.
On the 2nd altar to the left a Nativity by Alessandro Allori: 'Quem
genuit adoravit', a finely-conceived work, 1564. Excellent organ.
The Palazzo Conventuale dei Cavalieri, adjoining the church,
altered by Vasari, is now a school; above the windows are busts of
six masters of the order ; in front of the building a marble Statue of
the Grand-Duke Cosimo, designed by Giov. da Bologna and executed
by Francavilla (1596). Opposite to it once stood (down to 1655) the
ill-famed 'Tower of Hunger', properly Torre dei Gualandi alle Sette
Vie, in which Archb. Ruggieri degli Ubaldini caused Count Vgolino
dei Gherardeschi with his sons and nephews to be starved to death
in 1288 as a punishment for treason, as described by Dante in the
33rd canto of his Inferno.
The neighbouring church of S. Sisto (PI. 36; C, 3) was founded
by the Pisans to commemorate several of their victories on the day
of S. Sisto, 6th Aug., 1089. It contains a number of ancient
columns of marble and granite. The church was frequently used
as a place of assembly by the Great Council of Pisa.
On the right, in the Via S. Frediano (No. 972), leading from
the Piazza dei Cavalieri to the Arno, is the old Accademia delle