Campo Santo. PISA. 51. Route. 347
and drunkenness (with the ' Vergognosa di Pisa\ or scandalised female
spectator), the Curse of Ham, the Tower of Babel (with portraits of
celebrities of that period, Cosimo de1 Medici, his son Pietro, and his
grandsons Lorenzo and Giuliano), the history of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob
and Esau, Joseph, Moses and Aaron, Fall of the walls of Jericho, history
of David, Solomon and the Queen of Sheba; this last much injured.
Benozzo himself was interred below the history of Joseph. The first of
these frescoes, the Vintage, is the most pleasing composition, and the
most striking one for the richness of its episodes, i^ts architecture, and its
landscape. In the midst of the short-comings of the others, however, Be-
nozzo has moments of luck, and they reveal occasional pretty episodes
and fair bits of composition (C. dc C).
Sculptures and Monuments. S. Side. In the left corner 152,153. Inscrip¬
tions in honour of Caius and Lucius Csesar, grandsons of Augustus. — XL.
Roman sarcophagus with the rape of Proserpine, on which is placed a fine head
of M. Agrippa in basalt. — V. Early Christian sarcophagus with a represen¬
tation of the Good Shepherd (2nd or 3rd cent.). — 14. Column with muti¬
lated statue of the Madonna, of the later period of the School of Giovanni
Pisano. — VIII. Fragment of a sarcophagus with fine Bacchanalian represen¬
tation. — To the right of the entrance, AA. "Monument of the oculist Andrea
Vacca (d. 1826) by Thorvaldsen, Tobias curing his father's blindness. —
33. Madonna and Child with six saints, below them the history of Christ,
by Tommaso Pisano. CC. Tombstone of Count Algarotti (d. 1764), erected
by Frederick the Great. — In front of the last, 47. Caritas, above the
four cardinal virtues and the four Evangelists, by Giovanni Pisano.
W. End. 7. Ancient palm frieze with dolphins and tridents. — XI.
Large ancient bath, latterly used as a sarcophagus. — 45. ^Virgin and
Child by Giovanni Pisano (mutilated). — 46. Monument of Count della
Gherardesca (14th cent.). — Memorial-tablets of the Pisans who fell in
1848 in the battles for the independence of Italy. — Monument of Carlo
Matteucci, the natural philosopher, by Dupri (d. 1879); monument of
Giorgio Regnoli, the surgeon, by Bilancini. — GG. Monument of Emp.
Henry VII. of Luxembourg, protector of Pisa as a partizan of the Ghi-
bellines (d. 1313 at Buonconvento), of the school of Giovanni Pisano, the
apostles on the sarcophagus by Tino di Camaino of Siena (1314). — In front
of it a statue of Giovanni Pisano, by Salvini. — On the wall above, the chains
of the ancient harbour of Pisa, captured by the Genoese in 1632; parts of them
were given to the Florentines, who suspended them at the entrance of the
Baptistery at Florence, but were restored to the Pisans in 1848; the second
chain was restored to them by the Genoese in 1860. — XII, XIII. Two
Roman sarcophagi with Etruscan cinerary urns placed on them. — Bust
of Cavour by Dupri. — LL. Sarcophagus of Bishop Ricci (d. 1418), of
the earlier Pisan school. — 50. Madonna attributed to Orcagna. — 52. On a
broken column, a marble vase with fine Bacchanalian representation, from
which Niccolo Pisano borrowed some of the figures in his Presentation
in the Temple on the pulpit in the Baptistery. — QQ. Tomb of the fabu¬
list Prof. Lor. Pignotti (d. 1812).
N. Side. 57. Large Greek "Relief from a tomb. — XIV. Roman sarco¬
phagus. — 62. Virgin and Child by Giovanni Pisano. —76. Madonna in terra¬
cotta by the Robbia. — The chapel contains remains of a large fresco from
the church del Carmine at Florence, which was destroyed by fire, attrib¬
uted to Giotto. — On the left the tombstone of Ligo degli Ammanati (d. 1359).
— Farther on, 78. Beautiful head of a young Greek, perhaps Achilles.
— 83. Head of Pluto. — XIX. Sarcophagus with Bacchanalian scene, upon
it the bust of Isotta of Rimini by Mino da Fiesole. — XX. Sarcophagus
with the procession of Bacchus. — XXI. * Sarcophagus with the myth of
Hippolytus and Phsedra, from which, according to Vasari, Niccolo Pisano
copied several figures for his pulpit; the remains of the Countess Beatrix
(d. 1076), mother of the celebrated Matilda, were subsequently deposited
here. — XXV. Sarcophagus with children gathering fruit. In the chapel
the tombstone of Cardinal Maricotti (d. 1345). — 98. Several Egyptian
antiquities. — XXIX. Bacchanalian sarcophagus with the myth of Actseon
on the cover. — 135. Sitting statue, supposed to be the Emp. Henry VII.,