344 Route 51.
Leaning Tower, the Baptistery, and the Campo Santo situated
here, form a group of buildings without parallel, especially as it is
situated beyond the precincts of the town and therefore removed
from its disturbing influences.
The ** Cathedral (PI. 22), erected after the great naval victory
of the Pisans near Palermo (1063) by Busketus and Rainaldus in
the Tuscan style, and consecrated by Pope Gelasius II. in 1118,
is a basilica with nave and double aisles, and transept flanked
with aisles, 104 yds. in length, and 35!/2 yds. in breadth in the
interior, and covered with an elliptical dome over the centre. This
remarkably perfect edifice is constructed entirely of white marble,
with black and coloured ornamentation. The most magnificent part
is the facade, which in the lower story is adorned with columns
and arches attached to the wall, and in the upper parts with four
open galleries, gradually diminishing in length. The choir is also
imposing. The ancient bronze-gates were replaced in 1602 by
the present doors, with representations of scriptural subjects,
executed by Mocchi, Tacca, Mora, and others, from designs by
Giovanni da Bologna. The only one of the old doors now existing
is the Crociera di S. Ranieri in the S. aisle, by Bonannus (12th
cent.), representing 24 scriptural scenes.
The Interior (usually entered by the last-mentioned door on the E.
side, opposite the Campanile) is borne by 68 ancient Roman and Greek
columns captured by the Pisans in war. (The capitals are now covered
with stucco.) The nave has a flat coffered ceiling, richly gilded, the
aisles are vaulted, and above them run triforia which cross the transept
to the choir. On 15th Oct., 1596, the dome and the whole church, with
the exception of the choir, were seriously injured by fire, but were sub¬
sequently restored. Many traces of the restoration are observable in the
Nave. Most of the tombstones formerly here have been removed to the
Campo Santo. A few still remain by the W. Wall, on the right and left
of the principal entrance, among them that of Archb. Rinuccini (d. 1582),
by Tacca, and that of Archb. Giuliano de1 Medici (d. 1660). On the pillar
to the right of the door an old fresco of Christ and the Maries by Bernardo
Falconi. The designs of the twelve altars are attributed to Mich. Angelo, the
execution to Stagi da Pietra Santa. The large altar-pieces are by Lomi,
Allori, Passignano, Salimbeni, and other masters of the 16th cent.; the
intervening pictures are of the 17th and 18th centuries. The Pulpit, by
Giovanni. Pisano (1311), is being restored. The swaying of the bronze
lamp which hangs in the nave is said first to have suggested to Galileo
the idea of the pendulum. On the last pillar of the nave on the right, St.
Agnes, by And. del Sarto. Opposite is a Madonna by Perino del Vaga.
Right Transept : 1st altar on the right, Madonna, by Perino del Vaga and
Sogliani. Above the "Cappella di S. Ranieri, which contains a sarcophagus
by Foggini, is a Madonna in mosaic, by a follower of Cimabue; the relief
on the niche and the statues by Francesco Mosca (about 1600). A niche
adjoining the chapel on the right contains an ancient statue of Mars,
commonly revered as St. Ephesus. The Madonna and Child which adorn
the basin for holy water at the entrance were designed by Michael Angelo.
The Choir contains finely-carved stalls , with apostles , landscapes
animals, etc., attributed to Giuliano da Majano. The two angels in bronze
on the right and left are by Giovanni da Bologna. The high-altar, overladen
with marble and lapis lazuli, dating from 1774, was restored in 1825. Above
it, Christ on the Cross, by Giovanni da Bologna. The two episcopal thrones
are by Giov. Bait. Cervellesi (1536). the six reliefs bv masters of f.bp. school of