PISA. 51. Route. 341
To the right, near the cathedral is the Baptistery, with a holy
water font of 1447, and a *Fresco representing the women weeping
over the body of Christ. Above the latter is a head of Christ by a
contemporary of Masaccio.
Railway to Siena and Orvieto, towards the S., see Baedeker's Central
The train then crosses the small river Pesa. On the left, before
reaching Montelupo, we perceive the Villa Ambrogiana, erected by
Ferdinand I. on the site of an ancient castle of the Ardinghelli,
and surmounted by towers and pinnacles. 45 M. Montelupo; the
castle of this place was fortified by the Florentines in 1203 in
order to keep in check the hostile Capraj a on the opposite side.
Hence the appellation Montelupo, 'mountain of the wolf, which
was desirous of devouring the goat (capra).
The train now crosses the Arno, and slowly winds through the
defile of the Gonfolina, through which the Arno flows. The heights
are clad with rock-pines, below which is quarried the pietra Sere¬
na, a kind of sandstone frequently employed in the construction of
the palaces of Florence. The Ombrone, which falls into the Arno,
is next crossed. 52 M. Signa, with its grey towers and pinnacles,
founded in 1377 by the Florentines to command the road at this
point. This place, as well as the opposite village of Lastra, is
noted for its straw-plait. — Near (54 M.) S. Donnino is Brozzi,
with numerous villas which proclaim the proximity of the capital.
The train now approaches the Cascine, the park of Florence, and
enters the station near S. Maria Novella.
60 M. Florence, see p. 364.
Arrival. The Station (PI. D, 7, lower side) is on the S. side of
the town, and on the left bank of the Arno. Travellers intending to
visit the cathedral and its environs only, leave their luggage at the
tation, and, disregarding the importunities of the bystanders (guide quite
unnecessary), proceed on foot, or by fiacre (1 fr.) to the Piazza del
Duomo (shortest route across the new Ponte Solferino).
Hotels. Near the Station: *Grand Hotel Minerve et Ville, with
garden, R. 3, D. 472, B. I72, dej. 3, L. s/4, B. 3/4 fr.. Hotel de Londees,
between Via Manzoni and Via Fibonacci, with a large garden, R. 3, L.
3/4, A. 1, D. 4J/2, B. I72, omn. lfr.; Hotel Washington. — On the Lung-
Arno, N. side: *Gran Bretagna (PI. e; C, 5), by the Ponte Solferino, com¬
fortable but somewhat expensive; *Grand Hotel (PI. a; D, 4); *H6tel
Royal Victoria (PL b; D, 4); these two also of the first class, near the
Ponte di Mezzo. — Europa (PI. f; E, 4), Lung-Arno Mediceo 1, commercial;
*Nettuno, with Trattoria, Lung-Arno Regio 7, unpretending, R. 2, D. 272 fr.
Pensions : Pension Svizzera, in the Lung-Arno Mediceo, well spoken
of; Sofia Ludwig, also in the Lung-Arno Mediceo, Palazzo Bargello, 'pens.'
from 7 fr. per day.
Kestaurants. Railway Restaurant; ''Ristor. Cervia, Via Tavoleria; also
at the "Nettuno, and most of the other hotels.
Cafes. Ciardelli, DelV Arno, Ussero , all in the Lung-Arno, N. side.
Cabs. With one horse: to or from the station 1 fr., trunk according
to size 10-30 c.; per drive in the town 80 c; first 72 hr. lfr., each ad-
titional 72 hr. 70 c. Out:ide the town (within a distance of 2 M.), per