IMOLA. 48. Route. 323
above). Remarkably fine *View from the summit, extending from
the Apennines to the Adriatic, particularly from below the portal of
the church and from the new intrenchments. The roof of the church
is also an admirable point of view, but the narrow staircase without
railings requires a steady head. Cab to the foot of the hill 1 i/2 fr.
(thence to the top a walk of Y2 hr.); the charge for driving to the
top is 15-20 fr. (two horses required). This excursion may be
combined with a visit to the Campo Santo.
48. From Bologna to Ravenna.
52x/2 M. Railway (belonging to the Ferrovie Meridionale) in 3-3V2 hrs.
(fares 9fr. 50, 6fr. 70, 4fr. 30 c). The train follows the main line to
Ancona and Brindisi as far as Castel Bolognese, whence Ravenna is reached
by a branch-line.
The train follows the direction of the ancient Via .-Emilia
(p. 283), and traverses a fertile plain. To the right in the distance
rise the Apennines. — 4Y2 M. San Lazzaro; 7 M. Mirandola;
lO1^ M. Quadema; 15 M. Castel S. Pietro, with a chateau built
by the Bolognese in the 13th cent., on the Sillaro.
21Y2 M. Imola (S. Marco), on the Santerno, an ancient town
with upwards of 9400 inhab. and the seat of a bishop since 422,
was the Roman Forum Cornelii, named after its founder L. Cornelius
Sulla, but is mentioned by Paulus Diaconus, the Lombard historian
of the period of Charlemagne, as Imolae. After many vicissitudes
the town was incorporated with the States of the Church by Pope
Julius II. in 1509. Imola was the birthplace of St. Petrus Chry-
sologus, archbishop of Ravenna (d. 449), whose tomb is in the
cathedral of S. Cassiano. The painter Innocenzo da Imola (Fran-
cucci, b. 1506; p. 309) was also a native of Imola. The train
then crosses the Santerno.
26 M. Castel Bolognese (poor restaurant), an ancient stronghold
of the Bolognese, constructed in 1380, where the Florentines under
Niccolo da Tolentino and Gattamelata were defeated by the Mi¬
lanese under Piccinino in 1434. — Railway-journey hence to An¬
cona, see Baedekers Central Italy.
The branch-line to Ravenna diverges here to the E. , passing
Solarolo, Lugo; 31 M. Bagnacavallo (birthplace of the painter
Ramenghi, p. 309, who is generally called after his native town),
Russi, Godo. — 52y2 M. Ravenna.
Ravenna. — Hotels. Spada d'Oro (PI. a; D, 4), Via Farini, R. 2-2V2,
L. V2, A. 3/4 fr-; *S- Marco (PI. b; E, 4), in the same street; Tre Ferri,
by the theatre, unpretending. — Caffe del Risorgimento, in the Piazza Vitt.
Cabs: per drive 1, at night l'^fr-, two-horse IV2 or 2fr.; first hour
IV2-2V2fr-, each additional 1/2 hr. 75c. or lfr. 25c; beyond the town
2 or 4fr. per hour.
Photographs. 'fRicci, at Byron's house, Strada Porta Sisi 296.
Principal Attractions: Baptistery (p. 326), S. Vitale (p. 328), S. Na-