S.Cecilia. BOLOGNA. 47. Route. 317
Moses, at the back the portrait of the donor Giulio Bori. Below the
organ are small frescoes by Guido Reni. 7th altar on the left, Annuncia¬
tion, by Innocenzo da Imola. The place of the 3rd altar on the left is
occupied by the monument of Lod. Gozzadini in stucco, by Giov. Zacchio.
2nd altar: Christ and Magdalene, by Fr. Albani. In the choir, on the
right, a terracotta relief, representing the Madonna and SS. Laurence and
Eustace with two angels, by Vincenzo Onofri, 1503.
SS. Vitale ed Agricola (PL 23; G, 4), in the Via S. Vitale, was
consecrated in 428 by St. Petronius, and restored in 1872. The
large chapel on the left contains an *Altar-piece (covered) by Fr.
Francia. Side-frescoes on the right representing the Adoration of
the Shepherds by Fr. Francia, on the left the Conception by
Bagnacavallo. — Opposite is the Palazzo Pedrazzi, formerly Fan-
tuzzi (PL 40 ; G, 4), built in 1605 from designs by Andrea Marchesi,
surnamed Formigine, which contains a superb staircase by P. Canali.
The most northern of the streets radiating from the leaning
towers is the Via Zamboni (PL F, G, H, 3, 4,) or S. Donato, to the
right in which is the effective and well-proportioned Pal. Malvezzi-
Medici (PL 49), built by Bart. Triachini in 1550. Farther on, in the
small Piazza Rossini , which is named after the celebrated com¬
poser, who attended the neighbouring Liceo Filarmonico (PL 26) in
1807-10, is —
*S. Giacomo Maggiore (PL F, 4), founded in 1267, consisting of
a nave with barrel-vaulting of 1497, with a portico erected in 1483
by Gasparo Nadi, and adorned with several excellent pictures.
Over the altar, immediately to the right of the entrance, is the 'Vergine
della Cintura1, by an early Bolognese master (covered); 3rd Chapel on the
right: Ercole Procaccini, Conversion of Saul; 5th Chapel, Passerotti, Ma¬
donna enthroned, with saints and the donor; 7th Chapel, "Marriage of St.
Catharine, by Innocenzo da Imola (1536; the green colour unfortunately
faded); 9th Chapel, St. Rochus with an angel, by Lod. Carracci; 11th
Chapel, erected by Pellegr. Tibaldi, the teacher of Carracci, and decorated
by him with frescoes. In the Choir large paintings of the Resurrection,
etc., by Tommaso Lauretti. The 3rd chapel in the retro-choir contains a
gilded altar with numerous saints; to the left, on the wall, a large painted
crucifix by Simone de' Croceftssi (1370). The 6th "Cap. de1 Bentivogli,erected
in 1486 and paved with coloured and glazed tiles, contains a "Madonna,
with angels , on the right S. Sebastian, on the left the founder, the best
work of Fr. Francia, and frescoes by Lorenzo Costa, representing the
Triumph of life and death, after Petrarch, on the left, and the Bentivogli
family on the right (1488); the frescoes above are by Giacomo Francia;
equestrian statue of Annibale Bentivoglio by Niccolb deW Area (1458);
opposite to it the "Monument of Antonio Bentivoglio (d. 1435) by Jacopo
della Quercia. The 9th Chapel in the left aisle contains a Presentation
in the Temple, by Orazio Sammachini.
The sacristan of S. Giacomo also keeps the keys of the adjacent
oratory of *S. Cecilia (PL 4; F,4), erected in 1481 for Giovanni
Bentivoglio. The frescoes by Lor. Costa, Fr. Francia, and their
pupils represent the legend of St. Valerian and St. Cecilia (Nos. *1
and 10 by Fr. Francia, 2 and 9 by Costa, *3 and 8 by Giacomo
Francia, 4 by Chiodarolo, 5, 6, and 7 by Aspertinf).
Opposite, on the left side of the street, is the Pal. Malvezzi-
Campeggi (PL 50), by Andrea and Jac. Marchesi, with an interesting
court. Adjacent is the Palazzo Magnani-Guidotti (PI. 48), by Dom.