VILLAFRANCA. 36. Route. 209
which are 400-500 years old and 120 ft. in height. The cam-
panili of S. Lucia and S. Massimo are conspicuous.
A little to the N. is *S. Maria in Organo (PL G, 3), a very
ancient church situated near the island in the Adige, altered by
Sammicheli in 1481 ; the facade of 1592 is unfinished.
Above the 1st altar to the left, '-Madonna della Limone by Girolamo
dai Libri; 3rd altar to the left, Madonna and saints by Morone (1503); 4th
altar to the left, Madonna with saints, by Savoldo (1533). The chapel on
the right of the choir contains frescoes by Giolfino; a wooden ''Candela¬
brum , by Fra Giovanni da Verona, who belonged to the monastery of
this church. The *Choir-stalls in the Choir with intarsia (views of the
town above, arabesques below), of 1499, and the reading-desk, are by the
same master. The seats in front of the high-altar contain landscapes by
Cavazzola and Brusasorci. In the 5th chapel to the right is a St. Francisca
Romana by Guercino. The Sacristy is adorned with paintings and intarsia
by Fra Giovanni (right), Cavazzola, and Brusasorci; the ceiling contains
frescoes by Francesco Morone.
A little to the N. is the small and ancient church of S. Gio¬
vanni in Valle (PL G, 2), a flat-roofed basilica. The capitals of
the columns are of very early date. Above the entrance is a fresco
by Stefano da Zevio. The crypt contains two early - Christian
sarcophagi, one of which is adorned with terracotta figures of a
At the village of S. Michele, l1/* M. from the Porta Vescovo, is the
circular church of Madonna di Campagna, planned by Sammicheli but
constructed after his death.
36. From Verona to Mantua and Modena.
63 M. Railway in 21/2-31/2 hrs. (fares 11 fr. 45, 8fr.,5fr. 75 c; express
12 fr. 60, 8 fr. 80 c.); to Mantua (25 M.) in iy2 hr. (fares 4 fr. 60, 3 fr. 20,
2 fr. 30 c.; express 5 fr. 10, 3 fr. 55 c). — This is the most direct line be¬
tween Germany and Central Italy, and is the route traversed by the express
trains to Florence and Rome.
Verona, see p. 199. The line traverses a richly-cultivated plain,
varied occasionally with wood. Fields of rice are passed near Man¬
tua. — 6 M. Dossobuono.
At Dossobuono the Verona and Rovigo Railway diverges (63 M. in
33/4-4V4 hrs.; fares 11 fr. 50, 8fr. 5, 5fr. 80c). Stations Vigasio, Isola della
Scala, Bovolone, Cerea. — 33J/2 M. Legnago, a town of 14,100 inhab., for¬
tified by the Austrians after 1815 to defend the passage of the Adige, and
forming one member of the celebrated Quadrilateral, the other towns of
which were Verona, Peschiera, and Mantua. — Stations Villabartolomea,
Castagnaro, Badia, Lendinara, Fratta, Costa. 63 M. Rovigo, see p. 300.
10y2 M. Villafranca, with an ancient castle, where the pre¬
liminaries of a peace between France and Austria were concluded
on 11th July, 1859 , after the battle of Solferino. About 5 M. to
the N.W. lies Custozza, where the Italians were defeated by the
Austrians in 1848 and 1866.
14 M. Mozzecane; 18 M. Roverbella; 22y2 M. Sant. Antonio.
— The train now passes the Citadel of Mantua, where Andreas
Hofer, the Tyrolese patriot, was shot by order of Napoleon on
20th Feb., 1810. The citadel and the town are connected by the
Argine Mulino (a bridge constructed in 1257), which divides the
Baedei " " ""' 14