Museo Civico. VERONA. 35. Route. 207
coeval with the Porta de' Borsari, but more delicately executed,
and bearing an inscription partially preserved. Behind it are the
remains of a still older arch.
A little farther on is the Gothic church of S. Fermo Maggiore
(PI. E, F, 4), erected at the beginning of the 14th century. The
architecture of the exterior, with its facade of brick, enriched
with marble, is worthy of inspection.
The Interior, which is destitute of aisles, has been modernised;
beautiful old ceiling in walnut-wood, and remains of good frescoes of
the 14th century. By the 3rd altar to the right is an Entombment, a
relief of the 15th century. In the right transept is a reproduction of the
ancient Arco de1 Gavi (at the Castello), which was removed in 1805. To
the right, above one of the arches of the choirs, is a fresco, possibly
executed by Giotto, with portraits of William of Castelbarco, who recon¬
structed the church in 1313, and of Prior Daniel Guzman, who furnished
the wooden ceiling. In the chapel to the left of the choir is a St. Anthony
by Liberate da Verona. The chapel adjoining the left transept contains
the monument of the physician Girolamo della Torre by Riccio (the ori¬
ginals of the bronze reliefs were carried off by the French, and are in
the Louvre). Above the left side-entrance is a Crucifixion, the best of
the 14th cent, frescoes. The Cappella Brenzoni, to the left of the prin¬
cipal entrance, contains reliefs by the Florentine Russi (1420), and a ruined
fresco of the Annunciation by Pisanello. — Outside the main entrance, to
the left, is the sarcophagus of Fracastoro, body-physician to Can Grande.
The Ponte delle Navi (PL E, 4) in the vicinity, which commands
a good survey of S. Fermo, was erected to replace a bridge across
the Adige, which was destroyed by an inundation in 1757.
Immediately to the right beyond the Adige, at the beginning of
the promenade, is the *Palazzo Pompei alia Vittoria (PL F, 5),
erected by Sammicheli about 1530, presented by the family to the
town in 1857, and now containing the Museo Civico (fee 1 fr.).
The Ground Floor contains collections of natural history (fossils from
the Monte Bolca) and antiquities, the latter including Roman and Etrus¬
can bronzes, marble sculptures and vases, Roman silver-plate, and Lom-
bardic gold ornaments.
The Pinacoteca or picture-gallery, on the first floor, contains works
principally of the Veronese school. The first and second rooms contain
the Galleria Bernasconi, presented to the town by Dr. Bernasconi.
I. Room: (right) 70. Tiepolo, Saints; 52. Cesare Vecellio, Madonna; 51.
Morone , Portrait; * 33. Paolo Veronese, A Venetian woman; 12. Cara¬
vaggio, Joseph's brethren.
II. Room: (right) 148. Franc. Buonsignori, Madonna; 150. Spagna,
Martyrdom; 138. Girolamo dai Libri, Madonna; 147. (above the door) Vine.
Catena, The Magi; 155. Fr. Francia, Madonna with two saints; 153. Par-
meg gianino, Holy Family; 115. M. Basaiti, St. Stephen; 123. Zenale, Ma¬
donna; 122. Cima, Madonna; 114. Caroto, Holy Family; 121. Garofalo,
Annunciation; 120. Perugino, Madonna; 113. Tintoretto, The plague at
Venice; 104. Amberger, Portrait of the 'Scholar Falb'; 86. Giov. Bellini,
Presentation in the Temple; *95. Adoration of the Shepherds, attributed
to Raphael, a charming picture of the Umbrian school; *94. Fra Bartolom¬
meo^), Head of Christ; 93. Correggio, Head of a child; 79. B. Montagna,
III. Room : 203. Copy of the picture by P. Veronese in S. Giorgio (p. 203);
*200. Giovanni Bellini, Madonna; *199. Moretto, Madonna; 190. Falconetto,
Miraculous Appearance of the Virgin; 189. Giolfino, Achilles at Scyros;
182. Morone, Madonna.
IV. Room (to the left of the 1st): (right) 288. Drawing by Mantegna;
252. Giolfino, Madonna; Paolo Veronese, (above the door), 256. Holy Family,