202 Route 35. VERONA. Cathedral.,
Over the church-door the sarcophagus and equestrian statue of Can
Grande (Francesco della Scala, d. 1329), the patron of Dante; adjoining it,
also on the church-wall, the monuments of Giovanni della Scala (d. 1350)
and of Mastino I. (d. 1277). On the side next to the Piazza dei Signori is
the monument of Mastino 11. (d. 1351), another sarcophagus with canopy
and equestrian statue. The largest of the monuments, that at the corner
of the street, was executed by Bonino da Campiglione for Can Signorio
(d. 1375) during his life-time; it is embellished with statues of Christian
heroes and virtues. (The custodian lives in a house to the right of the
entrance to the church, fee 30c).
We now proceed through the Vicolo Cavaletto to the Corso, at
the E. end of which rises *S. Anastasia (PL F, 2), a fine Gothic
church begun about 1261, with a brick facade, a portal subse¬
quently covered with marble, ancient sculptures in the lunette,
and a fresco of the 14th century.
The Interior, borne by 12 circular columns, is remarkable for boldness
and symmetry of proportion; the vaulting is painted in the late-Gothic
style. On the first column to the left is an ancient capital, used as a basin
for consecrated water, and supported by a humpbacked dwarf (Gobbo), exe¬
cuted by Gabriele Caliari, father of Paolo Veronese. By the first altar to
the right is the monument of Fregoso, by Danese Cattaneo (1565). The
2nd and 3rd altars are enclosed in admirable frame-works of white marble.
The frame-work of the 4th altar is a reproduction of the Arco de' Gavi
(p. 207); the altar-piece is a St. Martin by Caroto. The small adjoining
chapel contains a painted group of the Entombment, executed in the 15th
century. In the right transept is a Madonna with saints by Girolamo dai
Libri (1512). The chapel of the Pellegrini, on the right by the high-altar,
is adorned with terracotta reliefs of the 14th cent., representing the history
of Christ from the Nativity to the Resurrection; on the outside, above
the arch, are the remains of a fresco of St. George, by Pisanello. In the
choir, to the left, is the monument of General Sarego (1432), with fine
'intarsia' work. — Above the 4th altar to the left is a Descent of the
Holy Ghost by Giolfi.no, and by the 1st altar on the same side is a St. Paul
by Cavazzola; both altars are also adorned with sculptures of the 15th cent.
To the left of the church, over a gateway, is the dark marble
sarcophagus of a Count Castelbarco, and in the gateway three others.
— Route hence through the Corso Cavour to the Arena, see p. 204.
— The small church of S. Pietro Martire contains a fresco by Fal-
conetto. We now proceed to the right to the —
Cathedral (Pi. F, 1,2), a Gothic structure of the 14th cent.,
with choir and Romanesque facade of the 12th century. The pointed
windows in the facade were inserted at a later date. Behind the
columns of the handsome portal are Roland and Oliver, the two
paladins of Charlemagne, in rough half-relief, executed according
to the inscription by one Nicholas (12th cent.). The columns in
front rest upon griffins. By the side-wall rises an unfinished cam¬
panile, designed by Sammicheli and resting upon an ancient basis.
The interior, which consists of nave and aisles, with eight red marble
pillars, contains an elegantly wrought rood-loft of marble, designed by
Sammicheli, above which is a bronze crucifix by Giambattista da Verona.
Above the front chapels are several good frescoes (restored), those on the
right by Falconetto, those on the left by pupils of Mantegna. The Adora¬
tion of the Magi, at the 2nd altar to the right, is by Liberate da Verona,
with wings by Giolfino. At the end of the right aisle is the Tomb of
St. Agatha, a Gothic monument enclosed in a beautiful Renaissance frame¬
work by Giuseppe del Ebreo (1508). The choir is adorned with scenes
from Ihe life of the Virgin, executed bv Torbido from drawings by Giulio