VERONA. 35. Route. 199
ed extended to about 13,200 sq. M., besides the Dalmatian possessions
(4250 sq. M.) and the settlements in the Levant. Napoleon at length over¬
threw the Republic, which had long been in a tottering condition. On
15th and 16th May, 1797, Venice was occupied by French troops under
Baraguay d'Hilliers, this being the first occasion on which it had ever
been captured by an enemy. In the Peace of Campoformio (1797) it was
adjudged to Austria, but by the Peace of Pressburg in 1805, the Austrians
were compelled to cede it to the Kingdom of Italy. On the fall of Napo¬
leon it was again awarded to Austria, to which it belonged down to 1866,
when in consequence of the events of that year it was finally incorporated
with the Kingdom of Italy.
Arrival. There are two stations at Verona: (1) The Stazione Porta
Vescovo (or Porta Vescovile; PL I, 6), the central station for the trains of
all the lines, about I1/2 M. to the E. of the Piazza Bra; (2) The Stazione
Porta Nuova (PL B, 6), where the ordinary trains only stop, 3/t M. to the
S. of the Piazza Bra, convenient for travellers for Ala, Milan, and Man¬
tua. — The traveller about to leave the country should provide himself
in good time with gold (comp. Introd. xvii, Railways).
Hotels. Hotel Royal des Deux Todes (delle Due Torri; PI. a; F 2, 3),
R. from 3, L. 1, A. 1, D. 5, B. IV2, omn. lfr., with baths; Grand Hotel
de Londres (PL b; F 3), similar charges, also with baths, both in the centre
of the town; Hotel Rainer al Gran Parigi (PL c; E, 3), on the Corso,
near the Piazza delle Erbe, R. from 272, D. 5, A. 3/4 fr. — Italian houses:
*Albergo & Trattoria Cola (also called S. Lorenzo; PL d; D, 3), pret¬
tily situated on the Adige, Riva di S. Lorenzo, in the third narrow street
W. of the Porta Borsari, R. 2-3, L. 1/2, A. 72, omnibus 3/4 fr.; Colomba
d'Oro (PL e; D, 3), in the street of that name, close to the Piazza Bra,
R. 272 fr., L. 60, A. 60 c, omn. 1 fr., well spoken of; Aquila Nera, R. 172,
B. I74 fr., A. 60 c; Regina d'Ungheria, near the Piazza delle Erbe, un¬
pretending, well spoken of; Alb. d'Italia, near the Porta Vescovo (PL I, 5),
well spoken of.
Restaurants. "Birraria Bauer al Giardino S. Luca (with baths), to
the W. of the Piazza Vittorio Emmanuele, on the right, outside the Portone ;
"Trattoria Cola, and the other Italian inns; Crespi, near the Ponte delle
Navi (p. 207). — Cafes (cup of coffee 20 c, 'pasta' to eat with it, 10 c).
Europa and * Vittorio Emmanuele in the Piazza Bra, where a military band
plays every evening. "Caffe Dante, Piazza de1 Signori.
Fiacres, called 'Broughams1. Per drive 75 c, per hour I72 fr., each
additional hr. 1 fr. 25 c.; in the evening 30 c. per hr. more. From the
station to the town and vice-versa 1 fr. These fares are for 1-2 pers.; for
each additional pers. one-third more. — Omnibus from the station to the
town 30 c.
Bookseller. H. F. Miinster, in the Via Nuova (p. 204).
The Sights of Verona may be seen in one day: begin with the Arena
and Piazza Bra, then cross the Adige to the Palazzo Pompei (on the way
to which is S. Fermo Maggiore, p. 207), return by the Via Ponte Navi to
the Piazza de' Signori, with the tombs of the Scaligers; see S. Anastasia,
and the Cathedral, and cross the Ponte di Ferro to S. Giorgio; drive along
the Corso, from the Porta Borsari to the Porta Stuppa and S. Zeno, and
finally to the Giardino Giusti.
Verona (157 ft.), the capital of a province, with 68,000fcinhab.
and a garrison of 6000 men, situated at the base of the Alps, on the
rapid Adige, which is crossed by five bridges, is next to Venice the
principal town in Venetia. On coming into the possession of the
Austrians in 1814 Verona was strongly fortified, and along with
Peschiera, Mantua, and Legnago formed the famous 'Quadrilateral',
the chief support of Austrian rule in Italy. It was restored to Italy