194 Route 33. BRESCIA. S. Nazaro e Cetso.
(after Thorvaldsen), Genius of music; *8. Thorvaldsen, Ganymede. — The
other rooms contain modern pictures.
S. Afra (PI. 1; E, 5), situated in the street leading from
the Museo Patrio, was erected in 1580 on the site of a temple of
Saturn, but has been entirely modernised.
High altar-piece, by Tintoretto, Ascension, in which the blue of the sky
is the predominant colour. Over the N. door, "Titian (or Giul. Campi?),
Christ and the adulteress (generally covered). Over the N. altars: 2.
P. Veronese, Martyrdom of St. Afra (in the foreground, among the be¬
headed martyrs, is the head of the painter); 1. Palma Giovane, Brescian
S. Nazaro e Celso (PL 13), in a street leading off the Corso
Vitt. Emmanuele, built in 1780, contains several good pictures.
-High altar-piece by Titian, in five sections, the Resurrection being
the principal subject, on the right St. Sebastian, on the left St. Nazarus
and St. Celsus with the portrait of Averoldo, the donor of the picture;
above these the Annunciation (1522). This work was delivered in 1522,
and long remained an object of study to the artists of the Brescian school
(G. & C.). Over the 2nd altar on the left, "Coronation of the Virgin, with
SS. Michael, Joseph, Nicholas, and Francis below, by Moretto (1541): — 'In
elegance of proportion, in sympathising grace of attitude and pleasant
characteristic faces, this altar-piece is the very best of its kind, cold per¬
haps in silver-grey surface but full of bright harmony and colour1 (C. <k G).
Over the 3rd altar on the right, Ascension of Christ (1541), over the 4th
altar on the left, Nativity, with S. Nazaro and S. Celso, also by Moretto,
Madonna dei Miracoli (PI. 22; B, 5), near S. Nazaro, a small
church with four domes and richly decorated facade in the early
Renaissance style, was erected at the end of the 15th cent.; 1st
altar on the right, a *Madonna and Child, with St. Nicholas, by
Moretto (1539), exhibiting the technical powers of the master at
their highest. — A little to the N. is the church of S. Francesco
(PI. 8; B, 4), which contains (on the high-altar) a *Madonna, with
six Franciscan monks, by Romanino, in a frame by Franc. Sanspn
(1502), and a picture of *SS. Margaret, Francis, and Jerome %y
Moretto (3rd chapel to the right). The choir-stalls are also by
S. Maria delle Grazie (PI. 23; A, 2), near the Porta S. Gio¬
vanni, contains two good works by Moretto: over the 4th altar on
the right St. Antony of Padua and St. Antonius the Hermit, and
over the high-altar a Nativity of Christ.
About V2 M- from tae Porta Milano (PI. A, 3) lies the pretty
Campo Santo, to which an avenue of cypresses leads from the
34. From Brescia to Tirano in the Val Tellina.
Lago d'Iseo. Monte Aprica.
Distance about 81 M. Railway to Paratico, on the Lago d'Iseo, 24 M.,
in I72 hr. (fares 4 fr. 35, 3 fr. 5, 2 fr. 20 c). Steamer on Lago d'Iseo to
Lovere twice daily in 23/4 hrs. (fares 2 fr. or lfr. 40 c). Post-Omnibus
from Lovere to Edolo daily in 7 hrs. (one-horse carr. 15 fr.). Carriage
with one horse from Edolo to Tirano in 6 hrs. (fare 25-30 fr.).
This route is recommended to travellers who are already acquainted