BRESCIA. 33. Route 189
About 10 min. after the steamboat (p. 186) has quitted Riva,
the fall of the Ponale, mentioned p. 188, comes into view. Torbole
(p. 188) lies to the left. The steamer now steers S. to Mal-
cesine (2100 inhab.), a good harbour on the E. bank, with an
old castle of Charlemagne, which was afterwards a robbers'
stronghold. Goethe , while sketching this ruin , narrowly escaped
being arrested as a spy by the Venetian government. The castle
has since been restored. Beyond it is the rock of Isoletto, then
Cassone, and a little farther the small island of Trimelone. The
next places of importance are Castello, S. Giovanni, Castelletto,
all belonging to the parish of Brenzone, Montagna (somewhat in¬
land), and Torri. The banks gradually become flatter. The pro¬
montory of San Vigilio, sheltered from the N. wind by the Monte
Baldo (p. 188), extends far into the lake, and is the most beauti¬
ful point of view on the E. bank. The surrounding hills are
planted with vines, olives, and fig-trees. The village of Garda
(1500 inhab.), beautifully situated in a bay at the influx, of the Te-
sino, which descends from the Monte Baldo, gives its name to the
lake. To the S. in the distance is the peninsula of Sermione
(p. 186). The next places are Bardolino (2500 inhab.) with a har¬
bour, Cisano, and Lazise (3100 inhab.), another harbour.
Peschiera (see p. 185), at the efflux of the Mincio from the lake,
is a station on the Milan and Verona railway. The station is on the
E. side of the town, not far from the landing-place.
Hotels. Albergo d'Italia (PL b; D, 5); *Fenicb (PL a; D, 3), Piazza
del Duomo; Tokke di Londka; Gambeeo (PL c; D, 5), Piazza del Teatro,
plain, R. 2, D. 4, B. 1, A. 1, omn. 72 fr.; Cappello.
Cafes. Several adjacent to the theatre and in the Piazza del Duomo. —
Beer at Wiihrer's, near the Porta Venezia (PL G, 4). — Guzago is a fair
white wine produced in this district.
Photographs: Rosetti, Corso Blagenta 638; Capitanio, Via S. Fran¬
Cabs (Cittadine): 85c. per drive, 172fr. per hour.
Railway from Brescia by Cremona to Pavia, see pp. 179, 180; to Ber¬
gamo and Lecco, see p. 185; to Verona and to Milan, see p. 185.
Tramway via, Crema (p. 180) and Lodi (p. 282) to Milan (p. 127).
Brescia (515 ft.), a manufacturing town with 33,400 inhab.
(commune 60,700), the capital of a province, and the residence of
a bishop, is beautifully situated at the foot of the Alps, and its
numerous fountains of limpid water lend it an additional charm.
Iron wares, and particularly weapons (hence 'Brescia armata') form
the staple commodities, and a considerable number of the firearms
used by the Italian army are made here. The woollen, linen, and
silk manufactories are also worthy of mention.
Brescia, the ancient Brixia, which was conquered by the Gauls and
afterwards became a Roman colony, vied with Milan at the beginning of
the 16th cent, as one of the wealthiest cities of Lombardy, but in 1512
was sacked and burned by the French under Gaston de Foix (p. 333), after