BERGAMO. 30. Route. 183
Bergamo. —Hotels. * Albergo d'Italia, R. from 2, B. 172fr.;
Cappello d'Oro , unpretending. — Trattoria Giardinetto, by the Porta S.
Agostino, with garden and view. Gaffe Centrale. — Cabs: 272fr. per hour.
Bergamo (1246 ft.), the ancient Bergomum, which belonged to
the republic of Venice from 1428 to 1797, is now a provincial
capital with 22,700 inhab. (commune 39,700), and one of the
busiest of the smaller trading and manufacturing towns in Italy.
The once far-famed fair (Fiera di S. Alessandro, lasting from the
middle of August to the middle of September) has now lost its
importance. The town consists of two distinct parts, the old and
the new. The New Town (Borgo S. Leonardo and Borgo S.
Tomaso), with its woollen, silk, and other manufactories, the Corso,
the interesting piazza where the fair is held, the new Prefettura,
and a recently-completed Protestant church, lies in the plain.
From the railway-station a wide street leads to the Piazza Ca¬
vour, whence a narrow street runs to the left to the church of S.
Alessandro in Colonna (PL 12; C, 4), containing a fine Assump¬
tion by Romanino. The Contrada Torquato Tasso leads to the right
from the Piazza Cavour to S. Bartolommeo (with a *Madonna by
Lotto in the choir, 1516) and to S. Spirito, a beautiful Renaissance
building without aisles. Over the 2nd altar to the left is a Ma¬
donna by Borgognone (1508), and by the 3rd altar to the right is a
*Madonna by Lotto (1521). — Farther on, in the Contrada di Pignolo,
are the churches of S. Bernardino (*Lotto, Madonna and Saints,
1521) and S. Alessandro della Croce (Lotto, Christ enthroned).
The Old Town (Citta), beautifully situated on the hills and
containing many interesting houses of the early and late Renaissance,
is connected with the lower town by the Strada Vittorio Emmanuele.
The Promenade affords a fine view of the Brianza (p. 149), and of
the beautiful amphitheatre formed by the surrounding mountains,
particularly those to the N.E. The Castle (PL A, 1), on the hill to
the N.W., commands a still finer prospect.
In the Piazza Garibaldi, or market-place (11/4 M. from the
railway-station), is situated the Palazzo Nuovo (PL 8; C, 2),
the seat of the municipal authorities, erected in the Renaissance
style by Scamozzi, but unfinished. Opposite to it is the library in
the Gothic Palazzo Vecchio , or Broletto , the ground-floor of which
consists of an open hall supported by pillars and columns. Near it
are the Monument of Torquato Tasso (whose father Bernardo was
born at Bergamo in 1493), and a handsome fountain.
At the back of the Broletto is the Romanesque church of S. Maria
Maggiore (PL 6; B, C, 2, 3), erected in 1173, with ancient por¬
tals supported by lions on the N. and S. sides. Adjoining the N.
portal is the rich Renaissance facade of the chapel of the Colleoni.
The Interior (entrance on the S. side) contains some ancient pictures,
fine *Carved work on the choir-stalls by the Bergamasque Giov. Franc.
Capo Ferrato, and admirable inlaid wood (intarsia) by Fra Damiano. This
church also contains the monument of the celebrated composer Donizetti
of Bergamo (d. 1848), by Vine Vela, and, opposite, that of his teacher