1 80 Route 29.
unites with that from Piacenza to Milan (R. 42).— 2972 M. Codogno pos¬
sesses large cheese-manufactories (to Piacenza, see p. 285). Near Pizzighet-
tone, a fortified place, the Adda, which is here navigable, is Crossed. This
district is considered unhealthy. Stations Acquanegra and Cava Tigozzi.
47 M. Cremona (see below) is a terminus, from which the train
backs out. To Treviglio (Milan and Bergamo) and Mantua, see below.
From Cremona to Brescia the line proceeds due N., following the
direction of the high-road. Stations Olmeneta, Robecco-Pontevico, where
the Oglio, a considerable affluent of the Po, is crossed. Verolanuova,
Manerbio; then across the Mella to Bagnolo and S. Zeno Folzano.
Tllli M. Brescia, see p. 189.
From Pavia to Piacenza via Codogno (p. 285), 3772 M., railway in
2 hrs., if no delay takes place in Codogno (fares 6 fr. 85, 4fr. 80, 3fr. 45c).
From Pavia to Voghera, 19 M., railway in V2_3/4 ^r- (fares
3 fr. 10, 2 fr. 20, 1 fr. 60 c.; express 3 fr. 45, 2 fr. 45 c). The
train crosses the Ticino, the Po, and a small tributary of the latter.
Stations Cava Manara, Bressana, Calcababbio. Voghera, and jour¬
ney to Tortona, see p. 80; Novi, and journey to Genoa, see p. 82.
29. From Milan to Mantua via Cremona.
100 M. Railway in 5-6 hrs.; fares 18fr. 20, 12fr. 75, 9fr. 20c
From Milan to (20 M.) Treviglio, see p. 182. Our train diverges
here from the main line to the S.E. — 24^2 M. Caravaggio, birth¬
place of the painter Michael Angelo Amerighi da Caravaggio (1569-
1609), with the pilgrimage-church of the Madonna di Caravaggio.
— 30 M. Casaletto-Vaprio.
34l/2M. Grema (Alb. Pozzo), an industrial town (7800 inhab.),
and episcopal residence, with an ancient castle. The Cathedral
possesses a fine Romanesque facade, and contains a St. Sebastian
by Vine. Civerchio (at the second altar on the left). The church of
S. Maria delle Grazie is adorned with interesting frescoes. — About
3/4 M. from the town stands the circular church of S. Maria della
Croce, with effective subsidiary buildings in brick, built about
1490 by Giov. Batt. Battagli of Lodi, a contemporary of Bramante.
The interior, octagonal in form, is adorned with paintings by Campi.
— Crema is connected by tramways with Brescia and with Lodi. ;
40 M. Castelleone; 45 M. Soresina; 50y2 M. Casalbuttano;
54y2 M. Olmeneta ; 61 M. Cremona, the station of which is outside
the Porta Milanese.
Cremona. — Sole d'Oro (PL a; F, 3), Italia (PL b; E, 3), both
mediocre; Cappello (PL c; E, 4). — Cab per drive 72 fr., for 72 hr. 1 fr.,
for each additional 72 hr. 72 fr.
Cremona, the capital of a province and an episcopal see, with
32,000 inhab., lies in a fertile plain on the left bank of the Po.
The original town was wrested by the Romans from the Gallic Ceno-
mani and colonised by them at various periods, the first of which was
at the beginning of the second Punic war (B.C. 218). It suffered seri¬
ously during the civil wars, and was several times reduced to ruins, but
was restored by the Emp. Vespasian. The Goths and Lombards, especial¬
ly King Agilulf, as well as the subsequent conflicts between Guelphs
and Ghibellines, occasioned great damage to the town. Cremona espoused