62 Route 9.
Corso Lungo Po, and Corso Vitt. Emmanuele to the Piazza Solferino. —
From the Piazza dello Statuto (PL C, 2) to Tesoriera and Rivoli. —
From Via Sacohi (PL E, 5): 1. To Massano and on to Giaveno; 2. To
Villa Stupinigi and Vinovo. —From the Piazza Nizza to Carignano (p. 83)
and Carmagnola (p. 83), and to Saluzzo (p. 118). — From the PiAZza
Emmanuele Filiberto (PL E, 1): 1. By the Corso Regina Margherita,
Corso Maurizio, Via Rossini, Piazza Carlo Emmanuele and Piazza Mad.
f'ristina to the Corso del Valentino (PL F, 5); 2. By the Corso Reg. Mar¬
gherita, Piazza Savoia, Piazza Solferino, Via Oporto, and Via S. Secondo
to the Via Sommeiller.
Consuls. British, Via di S. Filippo 20. American, Via de' Fiori 19.
Post Office, Via d'Angennes 10. Telegraph Office, Via d'Angennes 8.
Booksellers. Loescher, Via di Po 19, with circulating library of Eng¬
lish , French, German, and other books; Casanova, Via Accademia delle
Scienze. — Fine Arts Warehouse: Cerruti, Galleria Subalpina (p. 63).
Military Music in the Piazza Castello every afternoon ; on Sundays
12-2, in summer in the Giardino' Reale, in winter in the Piazza Vittorio
Emmanuele; in the Piazza d'Armi in summer during the Corso. — The
chief promenades are the avenues of the Piazza d'Armi.
Baths. Via Provvidenza 40; Bagni di S. Carlo, Via Roma 22; Bagni
di S. Giuseppe, Via S. Teresa 21; Bagni Cavour, Via Lagrange 22. Bath
l'/Vl'/sfr-! with fee of 20c. — Swimming Bath (scuola di nuoto) above the
old bridge over the Po (PL G, 3; 60c).
Theatres. Teatro Regio (PL 52), in the Piazza Castello, for operas
and ballets, with seats for 2500, generally open during Lent and the Car¬
nival only (admission 3fr., reserved seats 6fr.); Carignano (PL 49), in the
Piazza of that name, Gerbino, Via Maria Vittoria, these two for Italian
comedies, open the greater part of the year; D'Angennes (PL 48), Via
Borgo Nuovo, Rossini (PL 53), Via di Po 24, these two for plays in the
Piedmontese dialect, etc.
English Church Service performed in a chapel at the back of the
Temnio Valdese (PL 18).
Principal Attractions: Armoury (p. 64), Picture Gallery (p. 66) and
Museum of Antiquities (p. 65), Museo Civico (p. 71), monuments in the
cathedral (p. 68), view from the Capuchin monastery (p. 72).
Turin (785 ft.), the Roman Augusta Taurinorum, founded by
the Taurini, a Ligurian tribe, destroyed by Hannibal B.C. 218,
and subsequently re-erected, was the capital of the County of
Piedmont in the middle ages , and in 1418 became subject to the
Dukes of Savoy, who frequently resided here. From 1859 to
1865 it was the capital of Italy and residence of the king. Turin,
the seat of a university and of a military academy, and the head¬
quarters of the 1st Italian Corps d'Armee, is situated in an ex¬
tensive plain on the Po, which receives the waters of the Dora
Riparia below the city. The plain of the Po is bounded on the
W. by the Graian and Cottian Alps , and on the E. by a range
of hills rising on the right bank, opposite the city (hill of the Ca¬
puchins, p. 72; Superga, p. 73). Turin has always been the focus
of the national struggles for unity, and by the industry and per¬
severance of its citizens has recovered from the severe losses conse¬
quent on the removal of the court. The population in 1882 in¬
cluding surrounding villages, was 252,900, of the town itself about
220,000 (in 1377, 4,200; in 1631, 36,447; in 1799, 80,752: and
in 1848, 130,849").
Turin is conspicuous among the principal cities of Italy for the re¬
gularity of its construction. Its plan presents rectangular blocks of houses