58 Route *.
(2nd floor) is the Municipal Museum, containing the smaller anti¬
quities (adm. daily 9-1 ; fee 30 kr.).
At the corner of the Via della Sanita (No. 2) and the Piazza
Giuseppina* stands the sumptuously furnished Palazzo Revoltella
(PI. G, 6), built in 1857 from the plans of Hitzig of Berlin, and
bequeathed to the town along with its valuable contents of paintings
and sculptures by Baron Revoltella (adm. daily, 11-2). The
principal facade of the edifice is turned towards the Piazza Giusbp-
pina , which is embellished with a *Monument to Emperor Maxi¬
milian of Mexico (d. 1867), in bronze, designed by Schilling, and
erected in 1875. The unfortunate prince, who was a rear-admiral
in the Austrian navy, generally resided at Trieste before he under¬
took his ill-starred expedition to Mexico.
The Passeggio di S. Andrea, a much frequented avenue 3 M. in length,
skirting the coast and commanding a succession of beautiful views, leads
on the E. side of the town, past the Villa Murat, the Lloyd Arsenal, and
the Gas-Works, to Servdla. The extensive "Wharves of the Lloyd Co.,
opposite Servola (472 M.), may be visited daily, except holidays, Sundays,
and between 11 and 1 o'clock, by permission obtained at the offices in
the Tergesteo (guide 72-1 fl.). — On the road to Zaule, famous for its
oyster-beds, are the handsome Cemeteries.
Another favourite place of resort is the Boschetto, to the E. of the
town, which is most easily reached by the tramway traversing the Via
del Corso, Piazza della Legna, and Corsia Stadion, and passing the shady
Giardino Pubblico (PL C, G, 1; fare 10 kr.). In the Boschetto is a large
brewery. A shady road ascends hence in 30-40 min. to the Villa Ferdi-
nandea (Rest. Cacciatore), situated upon a small plateau 750 ft. above
the sea. Adjacent is the Villa Revoltella, now belonging to the town, with
a park and chapel, commanding a charming view of the town and the sea.
A very pleasant excursion (railway station, see p. 55; boat 3 fl., one-
horse carr. 2fl., two-horse 3 fl.) may be made to the chateau of *Mirainar,
formerly the property of Emp. Maximilian of Mexico (see above), charm¬
ingly situated to the N.W. near Grignano, and commanding a fine view
of Trieste, the sea, and the coast. The park is open to the public daily.
The sumptuously furnished chateau is shown to visitors (Sundays and
holidays excepted) on sending their cards to the steward. To the right
of the entrance to the garden is a small 'Museum1 of Greek and Egyptian
antiquities. — Barcola (restaurant) is a favourite resort, halfway between
Trieste and the chateau.
Other excursions may be made to "Optschina (372 M.; Hotel-Pension
air Obelisco), commanding a beautiful view of the town and the sea; Servola
(see above); the grotto of Corniale (800 ft. long), 9 M. to the E.; to Lipizza
(imp erial stables), etc. — A very interesting excursion, occupying one day
(starting early in the morning), is by steamer (p. 55) to Muggia; over the
hill on foot (beautiful view from the top) to Oltre (1 hr.), thence by boat
(15 kr.) to Capo d'Istria (Citta diTrieste; Radetzky; Caffe in the principal
Piazza). The town itself, situated on an island, with 7500 inhab., is the
Justinopolis of the Romans, and is connected with the mainland by a
stone embankment. The chief objects of interest are the Cathedral, the
Palazzo Pubblico, occupying the site of a temple of Cybele, and the ex¬
tensive salt-works. We now proceed by the road on the shore, passing
Se/nedella , to (3 M.) Isola (good Refosco wine), and (6 M. farther) Pirano,
and return to Trieste by steamer in the evening. — About 2 M. from
Pirano lies the sea-bathing place of S. Lorenzo, established in 1864, a
handsome building in an extensive park.
From Trieste to Venice, see R. 41; to Pola, Fiume, and Dal-
matia, see Baedeker's Eastern Alps.