8. Route. 57
E, 4), containing the handsome hall of the provincial diet. In front
of the Municipio is the Maria Theresa Fountain, erected in 1751.
The Via del Corso (Pl.E, 3,4), the principal street of Trieste,
together with the two piazzas just mentioned, separates the new town
from the old. The latter, nestling round the hill on which the castle
rises, consists of narrow and steep streets, not passable for carriages.
To the left on the route to the cathedral and the castle is situated
the Jesuits' Church (S. Maria Maggiore, PI. 9; F, 4), containing
a large modern fresco by Sante. To the W., a few paces higher up,
is the Piazzetta di Riccardo, named after Richard Cceur de Lion,
who is said to have been imprisoned here after his return from
Palestine. The Arco di Riccardo (PI. 2) is believed by some to
be a Roman triumphal arch, but probably belonged to an aqueduct.
We now ascend by the Via della Cattedrale towards the cathe¬
dral. A little below the latter, on the right (custodian opposite,
No. 16; fee 30 kr.), is the entrance to the Museo Lapidario
(PI. 16 ; F, 3), an open-air collection of Roman antiquities in a
The antiquities on the upper terrace were found at Trieste, those
on the lower at Aquileia. Winckelmann, the eminent German archaeo¬
logist, who was robbed and murdered by an Italian at the Locanda Grande
in 1768, is interred here, and a monument was erected to him in 1832.
To the right and left of this monument are fragments of the sarcophagus
of an Amazon. At the lower end of the burial-ground is the so-called
Glyptothek, containing an inscription from the pedestal of a statue to the
Decurio Fabius Severus of Trieste, and also the heads and fragments of
several other statues.
The Cattedrale S. Giusto(P1. 8; F, 3) occupies the site of an
old Roman temple, part of the substructure and some of the columns
of which are still visible in the tower. The present building was
formed in the 14th cent, by the union of a basilica, a baptistery,
and a small Byzantine church of the 6th century. To the right and
left of the portal are six Roman tombstones (busts in relief). The
greater part of the interior has been defaced with whitewash. The
facade is adorned with three busts of bishops in bronze. The altar-
niches contain two ancient mosaics (7th cent.), that to the right
representing Christ with SS. Justus and Servatius, that to the left
Mary with the archangels Michael and Gabriel; below, the Apostles.
Some of the capitals are antique, others Romanesque.
Fouche , Due d'Otranto, the powerful minister of police of
Napoleon I., died at Trieste in 1820, and was interred on the Ter¬
race in front of the church. Fine view thence of the town and sea.
The hill above the cathedral is crowned by the Castle (PI. F, 3),
originally built in 1680 and frequently restored.
In the Piazza Lipsia , which is embellished with pleasure^
grounds, is the Nautical Academy (PI. 1; G, 5), containing on
the second floor the Ferdinand Maximilian Museum, the chief
attraction of which is a complete collection of the fauna of the
Adriatic (adm. Sun., Wed., and Sat., 11-1). In the opposite court