56 Route 8. TRIESTE. Tergesteo.
— Sea-baths at the Bagno Maria, opposite the Hotel de la Ville; Bagno
Buchler. Ferry to the baths 3 kr. each way (a single person 6 kr.). —
Boats 1-172 A- per hour.
Theatres. Teatro Gomunale (PI. 21), opposite the Tergesteo; Teatro
Filodrammatico (PL 23), French and German plays sometimes performed;
Armonia (PI. 24), dramas and operas; Politeama Rossetti, on the Acquedotto.
British Consul, Capt. Richard Burton. — TJ. S. Consul, Col. Montgomery.
English Church Service performed by a resident chaplain.
Trieste, the Tergeste of the Romans, situated, at the N.E.
extremity of the Adriatic, is the capital of Illyria and the most
important seaport of Austria. Pop. of the town proper 72,000, with
the suburban villages 133,000, or including the 'commune' and
Trieste was made a free harbour by Emp. Charles VI. in 1719, and
may be termed the Hamburg of S. Germany. About 18,000 vessels, in¬
cluding 1600 steamers, annually enter and clear the harbour. The yearly
value of its exports amounts to 117 million florins, that of the imports
to 145 million florins (14,500,000?.). Every European nation, and also the
United States, has a consul here. The population is very heterogeneous,
but the Italian element predominates in the city. About one-sixth of the
inhabitants are Slavs.
The Harbour is the centre of business. The quays have been
greatly extended within the last few years to meet the increasing
requirements of the shipping trade. The Lighthouse (Fanale Marit-
timo; PI. G7) on the S.W. Molo Teresa is 106 ft. high.
The New Town, or Theresienstadt, adjoining the harbour, is laid
out in broad, well-paved streets with handsome houses, and is in¬
tersected by the Canal Grande (PI. 5; D, 3, 4), 360 yds. long
and 50 ft. wide, which enables vessels to discharge their cargoes
close to the warehouses. At the E. end of the Canal is the modern
church of S. Antonio Nuovo (PI. 7; D, 3), in the Greek style.
Adjacent to the Hotel de la Ville towards the S. is the Greek
Church (S. Niccolb dei Greci, PI. 10; E, 4; divine service 6-8.30
a.m. and 5-7 p.m.), with its two green towers, sumptuously fitted
up. To the left of the Hotel de la Ville is the Palazzo Carciotti,
with a green dome.
A few paces from the harbour is the Molo S. Carlo, which was
begun in 1751 on the site of an old Roman mole. Adjacent, in an
open space opposite the Teatro ComunaleCPl. 21), is the *Tergesteo
(PI. 25 ; E, 4), an extensive pile of buildings, on the outside of which
are shops, and in the interior a glass gallery in the form of a cross,
where the Exchange (12-2 o'clock) is situated.
The Reading Room of the exchange is well stocked with newspapers
(visitors admitted). The principal part of the edifice is occupied by the
offices of the 'Austrian Lloyd', a steamboat-company established in 1833,
by which the postal service and passenger traffic between Austria and
the E. Mediterranean and India are undertaken.
Near the Tergesteo are the two busiest squares in Trieste, the
Piazza della Borsa and the Piazza Grande. In the Piazza della
Borsa (PI. E, 4), where the old Exchange is situated, stands a
Neptune group in marble , and a Statue of Leopold I., erected in
^660. — The Piazza Grande contains the new Municipio (PI. 11;