8. From Vienna to Trieste. Semmering Railway.
370 M. Austrian S. Railway. Express (1st, in winter 1st and 2nd class)
in 15 hrs. (fares 39 fl. 7, 29 fl. 14, 19 fl. 75 kr.); ordinary trains in 21 hrs.
(fares 32 fl. 75, 24 fl. 63, 16 fl. 50 kr). 50 lbs. of luggage free, provided
it is at the station at least 72 hr. before the departure of the train;
otherwise the whole is liable to be charged for. — Best views generally
on the left. For farther particulars, see Baedekers Eastern Alps.
The station of the S. Railway is between the Belvedere and the
Favorite 'Lines', or boundaries of the city. The train, soon after
starting, affords a good survey of Vienna, and the broad plain with
its innumerable villas and villages, as far as the hills of the
Leitha, to the S. 3 M. Hetzendorf, with an imperial chateau. On
the hills to the right, near (8 M.) Brunn, are several artificial ruins.
— Near (10 M.) Mbdling, the Briihl, a picturesque rocky valley,
opens on the W., and a branch-line diverges to the E. to the im¬
perial chateau and park of Laxenburg. Stations Guntramsdorf and
Gumpoldskirchen, famous for its wines. A short tunnel is passed.
17M. Baden (695 ft.; *Stadt Wien; *Griiner Baum; Schwarzer
Adler), with handsome villas, celebrated for its warm mineral
springs, the Roman Thermae Pannonicae. Beautiful environs.
19 M. Voslau (800 ft. ; *H6tel Back; Hallmayer), which yields
the best Austrian wine, is also frequented as a watering - place
(74°Fahr.). The next stations are Kottingbrunn, Leobersdorf (to the
right the Schneeberg, 6808 ft.), Felixdorf, and Theresienfeld.
31 M. Neustadt, or Wienerisch-Neustadt (930 ft.; Hirsch;
Kreuz), with 21,700 inhab., is an important manufacturing town.
On the E. side lies the old ducal Castle of the Babenberg family,
converted in 1752 into a military academy.
On the right beyond Neustadt the Schneeberg is visible almost
from base to summit; on the left rises the Leitha range. On the
hills to the right, in the distance, stands the well - preserved
castle of Sebenstein, the property of Prince Liechtenstein. — 35 M.
St. Egyden; 40 M. Neunkirchen, a manufacturing place ; then Ter-
nitz and Potschach. On the height to the left, near Gloggnitz, rises
the castle of Wartenstein. Schloss Gloggnitz on the hill, with its
numerous windows, was a Benedictine Abbey down to 1803.
At (47 M.) Gloggnitz (1426 ft.; *Alpenhorn; *Adler; Rossi)
begins the imposing *Semmering Railway, one of the most inter¬
esting lines in Europe (best views on the left), completed in 1853.
In the valley lies the green Schwarzau, with the imperial paper-
factory of Schleglmuhl. On the left the three-peaked Sonnwend-
stein; to the W. in the back-ground the Raxalp. The line de¬
scribes a wide circuit round the N. side of the valley to (55 M.)
Payerbach (1513 ft.; *Mader$ Rail. Restaurant, with beds), and
crosses the Valley of Reichenau by a viaduct with 13 arches, 300
yds. long. The train now ascends rapidly on the S. slope of the
valley (gradient 1 : 40). Beyond two short tunnels, it skirts the
Gotschakogel, and beyond two more tunnels reaches (6172 M.) Klamm