to Venice. VILLACH. 7. Route. 49
2 M. to the S.W., on a rock 918 ft. high. — From (203 M.) Glan-
dorf (*Rail. Restaurant) a branch-line diverges to Klagenfurt.
20372 M. St. Veit (1600 ft.; Rossi), an ancient town with
2300 inhab., was the capital of Garinthia and the residence of the
dukes down to 1519. The town-hall is embellished with curious
reliefs. Gothic church of the 15th century.
The line continues to ascend the pretty valley of the Glan.
20872 M. Feistritz-Pulst. On a height to the right stands the ruin
of Liebenf'els, on the left the ruined castles of Karlsberg and Hardegg.
213 M. Glanegg is also commanded by an old castle. The train now
traverses a narrow wooded part of the valley, then quits the Glan,
crosses a low ridge, and enters the broad valley of the Tiebel.
219 M. Feldkirchen (Rauter), a considerable village. To the left
the iron-works of Buchscheiden, to the right the high-lying church
of Tiffen. The train then approaches the Ossiacher See (1600 ft.),
a lake 6 M. in length, on the N. bank of which it runs at the base
of the Gerlitzen-Alp (6250 ft.). Opposite (224 M.) Ossiach is the
monastery of the same name. The extensive ruin of Landskron,
perched on a projecting buttress at the S.W. end of the lake, now
comes into view. The train turns to the S. and reaches —
2327a M. Villach (1595 ft. ; *Post; *H6tel Tarmann, near the
station; *Rail. Restaurant), an old town on the Drave, with
5000 inhab., the junction of the lines to Marburg and Franzens¬
feste, picturesquely situated in a broad, fertile basin at the base of
the Dobratsch (7067 ft.). The Gothic Parish Church (16th cent.)
contains numerous tombstones of the Khevenhuller, Dietrichstein,
and other noble families ; *View from the tower. The Hans Gasser-
Platz is adorned with a statue of Gasser, the sculptor (d. 1868).
The train skirts the town towards the S., and crosses the Drave
by a handsome iron bridge. On the right bank , to the S.W. of
Villach, lies the large goods-station of the Rudolf-Bahn. — 235M.
Bad Villach, with warm sulphur springs and a well-equipped bath¬
house. The train now crosses the Gail and reaches (23772 M.)
Fimitz, opposite which lies Federaun, with a ruined castle and a
lofty shot-tower. To the left rises the Wurzen (3515 ft.). — 243 M.
Arnoldstein, with a suppressed Benedictine abbey. To the right is
the long ridge of the Dobratsch. Crossing the Gailitz or Schlitza
we next halt at (24672 M.) Thbrl-Maglem, at the entrance of the
fertile and populous Gailthal. The train then runs along the left
side of the deeply furrowed Gailitz Valley, passes through two
tunnels, and reaches —
250 M. Tarvis (2440 ft. ; *Rail. Hotel $ Restaurant), where the
railway from Laibach joins ours on the left. Tarvis, the chief place
in the Kanal Valley and a popular summer-resort, consists of Unter-
Tarvis, in the floor of the valley, 72 M. from the the station, and
Ober-Tarvis, charmingly situated on the hill-side, 3/4 M. farther.
Ober-Tarvis has a small station of its own, at which the slow trains
Baedeker. Italy I. Cth Edit. 4