48 Route 7. JUDENBURG. From Vienna
At Verona (see p. 199) it first stops at (I6472 M.) the Stazione
Porta Nuova and then at the (166 M.) Stazione Porta Vescovo.
7. From Vienna (Bruck) to Venice. Pontebba Railway.
398 M. Railway in 1672-2472 hrs. (fares 72 fr. 40, 53 fr. 20, 36 fr. 25 c.;
express 84 fr. 45, 61 fr. 95 c). — The new *Pontebba Railway, uniting
the Bruck and Villach line of the Austrian Rudolf-Bahn with the railway-
system of Northern Italy, has shortened the journey from Vienna to Venice
by 90 M. The first half of it, from Villach to Pontafel, belongs to the
Austrian company, the other half to the Italian. The finest scenery is
seen in passing through the Fella Gorge between Pontebba and Resiutta.
From Vienna to (108 M.) Bruck, see R. 8. — Our line diverges
to the right from the Austrian South Railway, crosses the Mur by
a long iron bridge, and then turns to theW. into the narrow valley
of that river. Beyond (116 M.) Niklasdorf the train again crosses
the Mur and reaches —
U8V2 M. Leoben (1880 ft.; Post; Mohr; Kindler), the capital
of Upper Styria and the seat of the government mining authorities.
Pop. 5000. The negociations between Napoleon and the Austrians
preliminary to the Peace of Campo Formio took place at Leoben in
1797 (comp. p. 280). — The train follows the Mur, passing the
chateau of Gbss, formerly an episcopal residence, on the left.
126 M. St. Michael (1950 ft.; *Rail. Restaurant), at the mouth of
the Liesing-Thal, is the junction for St. Valentin and Linz. Several
unimportant stations. — 140 M. Knittelfeld (2112 ft.), a prettily
situated little town, lies at the mouth of the Ingering-Thal.
Si 14972 M. Judenburg (Rail. Restaurant), an ancient town at
the base of the Seethal Alps, V/2 M. from the railway. Extensive
foundries. 153 M. Thalheim; 158 M. St. Georgen. 161 M. 17ns-
markt, a village on the right bank of the Mur. On the opposite
bank rises the ruin of Frauenburg, once the seat of the minnesinger
Ulrich von Liechtenstein. Beyond. (16572 M.) Scheifling, with the
chateau of Schrattenberg, belonging to Prince Schwarzenberg, the
train quits the valley of the Mur, and ascends to (17072 M.)*Sf. Lam-
brecht (2900 ft.), on the watershed between the Drave and the Mur.
It then descends the picturesque valley of the Olsa, passing (173 M.)
Neumarkt and the small baths of (17772 M.) Einod.
18372 M. Friesach (2090 ft. ; Post; Mohr), an ancient town,
still surrounded with walls and moats, and commanded by several
ruined castles. The Gothic parish-church dates from the 15th cent.;
the Dominican Church is in the transition style of the 13th century.
The train now enters the Krappfeld, the fertile plain of the
Gurk; to the E. is the Saualpe, to the S. rise the Karawanken.
187 M. Hirt. Near (190 M.) Treibach are exte'nsive iron - works.
To the left is the village of Althofen, with an ancient watch-tower.
199 M. Launsdorf (Rail. Restaurant). The most interesting of the
numerous ancestral castles of the Carinthian nobles in this district is
*Hohen-Osterwitz, the property of the Khevenhuller family, situated