to Verona. ROVEREDO. ft. Route. 47
stronghold. About 1 M. farther the Cismone descends from the Val Pri-
miero. 7 M. Valstagna is inhabited chiefly by straw-hat makers.
Near (5 M.) Solagna the ravine of the Brenta expands. About l'/2 M.
farther the road turns a corner, and a view is obtained of a broad plain
with large olive-plantations in which lies the picturesque town of —
57 M. Bassano, see p. 227.
Beyond Trent the railway continues to traverse the broad and
fertile valley of the Adige. To the S.W. of Trent, on the right
bank, is the village of Sardagna, with a considerable waterfall.
117 M. Matarello. On a height near (123 M.) Galliano rises the
extensive castle of Beseno, the property of Count Trapp. The
rocky debris here are the result of a landslip.
129 M. Roveredo (680 ft. ; Corona, Cervo), a town with 8900
inhab., is noted for its silk-culture. The principal building is the
old Castello in the Piazza del Podesta. — Road to Schio, see p. 218.
The lower part of the valley of the Adige, down to the Italian
frontier, which yields abundance of fruit and good red wine, is
called the Val Lagarina. On the right bank lies Isera, with vine¬
yards, numerous villas, and a waterfall. On the left bank, to the
E. of the railway, near Lizzana, is a castle, which about the year
1302 was visited by Dante when banished from Florence. The
train follows the left bank of the Adige.
132M. Mori; the village lies in a ravine on the opposite bank,
on the road leading to Riva, and is famed for its asparagus. —
Omnibus to Riva (IO72 M.), see p. 188.
Near S. Marco the line intersects the traces of a vast landslip,
which is said to have buried a town here in 833, and is described
by Dante (Inferno xii. 4-9). At (136 M.) Serravalle, a fort which
once guarded the defile, the valley contracts.
141 M. Ala (415 ft.; Posta; Rail. Restaurant), a place of some
importance with 3800 inhab., possesses velvet-manufactories which
once enjoyed a high reputation, and is the seat of the Italian and
Austrian custom-house authorities. Those who have forwarded
luggage by this route to or from Italy should take the precaution
to enquire for it at the custom-house here. Halt of y2 ftr- —
Avio is the last station in the Austrian dominions. The village,
with a well-preserved chateau of Count Castelbarco, lies on the
right bank of the Adige.
Peri is the first Italian station. The Monte Baldo (7280 ft.) on
the W. separates the valley of the Adige from the Lago di Garda.
148 M. Ceraino. The train now enters the celebrated Chiusa di
Verona, a rocky defile in which in 1155 Otho of Wittelsbach pro¬
tected against the Veronese the retreating German army under Fred¬
erick Barbarossa. On an eminence on the right bank lies Rivoli,
which was stormed several times by the French in 1796 and 1797
under Massena, and afterwards gave him his ducal title.
The train passes Domegliara, Pescantina, and Parona, crosses the
Adige, and reaches the Verona and Milan line at S. Lucia (p. 185).