6. Route. 43
and is still an episcopal residence. Most of the churches date from
the 18th cent., and are unimportant. At the S.W. end of the town
is the Episcopal Palace with an extensive garden.
The train next crosses the Eisak by an iron bridge; on the right,
above, lies Tschbtsch; on the left, the pleasant village of Albeins.
6172 M. Klausen (1676 ft.; Lamm; Post), consisting of a single
narrow street, is situated in a defile, as its name imparts. The
Benedictine monastery of Seben, on the right, commands a very
striking view. It was once a Rhsetian fortress , then a Roman fort
under the name of Sabiona, afterwards an episcopal residence down
to the 10th cent., and finally a baronial castle.
Below Klausen the valley contracts. The line skirts precipitous
porphyry cliffs. On the heights above extend fertile plains,
sprinkled with numerous villages. 6672 M. Waidbruck (1520 ft. ;
Sonne), at the mouth of the Grbdener Thai. On the left, high
above, rises the Trostburg, the property of Count Wolkenstein.
The train crosses the Grodenerbach, and then the Eisak. —
71 M. Atzwang (1244 ft.) , at the mouth of the Finsterbach. The
train again crosses the Eisak, in a narrow valley enclosed by abrupt
porphyry rocks, called the Kuntersweg after the supposed con¬
structor of the road (14th cent.). Several tunnels. 76 M. Blumau,
at the mouth of the Tierser Thai. On the right bank are the vine-
clad slopes of the Bozener Leitach; another tunnel is passed through,
and the train crosses to the right bank of the Eisak near the village
of Kardaun, at the opening of the Eggenthal. The train now enters
the wide basin of Botzen, a district of luxuriant fertility.
80 M. Botzen, or Bozen, Ital. Bolzano (850 ft. ; *Kaiserkrone,
in the Musterplatz, R. from 80 kr., D. I72 A- 5 *H6tel Victoria,
near the station, R. i1/^., B. 50, A. 25, L. 25 kr. ; Mondschein;
Erzherzog Heinrich; Krautner; Schwarzer Greif; Stigl), with
10,300 inhab., the most important commercial town in the Tyrol,
is beautifully situated at the confluence of the Eisak and the Tal-
fer, which descends from the Sarnthal on the N. The background
towards the E. is formed by the strikingly picturesque dolomite
mountains of the Val di Fassa; to the W. rises the long porphyry
ridge of the Mendola. The Gothic Parish Church of the 14th and
15th cent, has a portal with two lions of red marble, in the
Lombard style. Beautiful open tower, completed in 1519. On
the E. side is the new Cemetery. — The Calvarienberg (25 min.
walk; beyond the Eisak bridge cross the railway to the right)
commands a fine view of the town and environs. — Gries (1 M. from
the station), in a sheltered situation on the right bank of the Tal-
fer, has of late years become a winter-resort for invalids.
From Botzen a branch-line diverges to (20 M.) Meran (172-2 hrs.;
1st cl., 1 fl. 64 kr.; 3rd cl., 98 kr.). Intermediate stations: Sigmundskron,
Siebeneich, Terlan, Vilpian, Gargazon, Lana, Untermais. Meran, see Bae¬
deker's Eastern Alps.
Beyond Botzen the train crosses the Eisak, which falls into the