to Colico. CHIAVENNA. 5. Route. 39
slope, being protected against avalanches by three long galleries.
Beyond the second gallery a beautiful view is obtained of Isola and
the old road, destroyed by an inundation in 1834. The new road
avoids the dangerous Liro gorge between Isola and Campo Dolcino.
Beyond Pianazzo, near the entrance to a short gallery, the Madesimo
forms a magnificent waterfall, about 700 ft. in height, which is
best surveyed from a small platform by the road-side.
50 M. Campo Dolcino (3457 ft.; Croce d'Oro ; Posta or Corona)
consists of four large groups of houses. The second contains the
church, surrounded by ash-trees, and the 'Campo Santo'. The Liro
Valley is strewn with fragments of rock, but the wildness of the
scene is softened by the luxuriant foliage of the chestnuts lower
down, from which rises the slender white campanile of the church
of Madonna di Gallivaggio. Near S. Giacomo there are whole forests
of chestnuts, which extend far up the steep mountain slopes. The
vineyards of Chiavenna soon begin, and the rich luxuriance of
Italian vegetation unfolds itself to the view.
5872 M. Chiavenna, Ger. Clef en or Claven (1090 ft.; *H6tel
Conradi, near the post-office, R. 3, D. 5, S. 372? B. 172 ft"-; Chiave
d'Oro), the Roman Clavenna, an ancient town with 4100 inhab., is
charmingly situated on the Maira, at the mouth of the Vol Bregaglia,
through which the road to the Maloja Pass and the Engadine leads.
Opposite the post-office, on the road, are the extensive ruins of a
castle, formerly the property of the De Salis family. Picturesque
view from the castle-garden or lparadiso' (fee 72 fr-)* wnich extends
along an isolated vine-clad rock. — S. Lorenzo, the principal church,
near the post-office, has an elegant slender clock-tower or campa¬
nile, rising from the old Campo Santo, or burial-ground, with its ar¬
cades. The Battisterio contains an ancient font adorned with reliefs.
The road to Colico at first traverses vineyards ; farther on , the
effects of the inundations of the Maira, and its tributary the Liro,
which joins it below Chiavenna, become apparent. Near —
65 M. Riva the road reaches the Lago di Riva, or di Mezzola,
which, before the construction of the road, travellers were obliged
to cross by boat. This piece of water originally formed the N. bay
of the Lake of Como, but the deposits of the Adda have in the
course of ages almost entirely separated the two lakes, and they
are now connected by a narrow channel only. The road skirts the
E. bank of the lake, in some places supported by embankments and
masonry, in others passing through galleries, and crosses the Adda.
The ruins of the castle of Fuentes, erected by the Spaniards in
1603 , and destroyed by the French in 1796, are now seen on the
right. It was formerly situated on an island, and considered the
key of the Val Tellina. Before reaching Colico the road is joined
by the Stelvio route from the left.
7572 M. Colico (722 ft.; Isola Bella, Angelo, both in the Italian
style; Ristoratore della Posta, on the lake) is situated at the N.E.