5. Route. 37
de Planta afforded refuge in 1794 to Louis Philippe, then Duke of
Chartres. — A covered wooden bridge crosses the Vorder-Rhein, im¬
mediately before its confluence with the Hinter-Rhein. Through the
valley of the Vorder-Rhein a post-road, not crossing this bridge, but
branching off to the right, on the left bank of the Vorder-Rhein, leads
to Disentis, Andermatt, and Goschenen (p. 33). The road soon ascends
for a short distance, and passes the villages of Bonaduz and Rhdziins.
The Domleschg Valley, Romansch Domgiasca, which we follow as
far as Thusis, on the right (E.) bank of the Rhine (the W. side of
which is called Heinzenberg, or Montagna), is remarkable for its
fertility and its numerous castles. Some of the villages are quite Ro¬
manic, others German; some are Roman Catholic, others Protestant.
Between the Bridge of Rothenbrunnen and Katzis are the castles
of Juvalta, Ortenstein, Paspels, Canova, Rietberg, and Furstenau
on the right, and that of Realta on the left bank. Towards Katzis
(2185 ft.) the scenery is particularly fine. To the S. rises the
snow-clad summit of the Piz Curver (9760 ft.); beyond this, to
the left, lies the Schyn Pass, with the majestic Piz St. Michel
(10,371 ft.) in the background; to the N. the Ringelspitz (10,659 ft.)
and the Trinserhom (9934 ft.). Near Thusis, above the village of
Masein, rises the castle of Tagstein.
16 M. Thusis, Romanic Tusaun (2448ft. ; *Via Mala; *Adler
or Post; *H6tel and Pension Rhaetia), lies at the confluence of the
Rhine and the Nolla, the turbid water of which tinges the Rhine
for a considerable distance. Fine view from the bridge over the
Nolla. In the background towers the Piz Beverin (9843 ft.).
Beyond Thusis the valley of the Rhine is apparently terminated
by lofty mountains. The entrance of the ravine of the Rhine is
guarded on the right bank by the ruined castle of Hohen-Rhdtien,
or Hoch-Realt. Prior to 1822 the bridle-path from Thusis ascended
the valley of the Nolla on the right bank through forest, and en¬
tered the gorge below Rongellen (see below). The path through the
gorge, the celebrated *Via Mala, was then only 4 ft. wide, and
followed the left bank. The new road was constructed in 1822.
The limestone-rocks rise almost perpendicularly on both sides to a
height of 1600 ft. At the Kdnzli, a little way from the entrance
of the ravine, there is a fine retrospect. About l!/2 M. from
Thusis is the Verlorne Loch, a tunnel 50 yds. long, penetrating
the projecting rock. Before reaching it the road passes beneath
a huge overhanging cliff. At the point, beyond the tunnel, where
the side-wall ceases and the wooden railings recommence, a view of
the brawling torrent is obtained. The retrospective *View, through
the narrow and gloomy defile, of the solitary tower of Hohen-Rhse-
tien and the sunny slopes of the Heinzenberg beyond is very striking.
Near the (3/4 M.) post-house of Rongellen the gorge expands,
but soon again contracts. The road crosses the river three times at
short intervals. The scene is most imposing in the vicinity of the