30 Route 4. LUCERNE. From Lucerne
was M. Gerwig, who was succeeded by M. Hellwag in 1875. The con¬
struction of the great tunnel was entrusted to M. Favre of Geneva (comp.
p. 33). — The highest point of the railway is in the middle of the great
tunnel and is 37bOft. above the level of the sea. The maximum gradient
is 1: 4U, the shortest curve-radius 330yds. The inclines have generally been
surmounted by large spiral tunnels, of which there are three on the N.
side of the St. Gotthard and four on the S. In all the railway has 56 tun¬
nels (with an aggregate length of 25 M.j, 32 bridges, several of which are
of great size, and 10 viaducts. The St. Gotthard Railway shortens the
journey between London and Brindisi (Anglo-Indian mail route) by 120 M.
— The 'Steamboat Voyage on the Lake of Lucerne from Lucerne to Fliielen
is much pleasanter than the railway journey, and is recommended to those
who are not pressed for time. Comp. Baedeker,s Switzerland.
Lucerne. — *Schweizerhof; *Luzerner Hof; 'Hotel National;
'Beaurivage; 'Angleterre; *Cygne; -Hotel du Rigi, all near the
steamboat-pier. *H6tel du Lac, and *St. Gotthard, both near the station.
^Balances, on the Reuss. — Engel, Adler, ROssli, Poste, Mohr, all
Lucerne, the capital of the canton of that name, with 17,800
inhab., is situated at the efflux of the Reuss from the Lake of
Lucerne. The view from the Schweizerhof-Quai is strikingly
beautiful. The celebrated *Lion of Lucerne, designed by Thor-
valdsen, to the N., outside the Waggis Gate and 74 M. from the
Schweizeihof, and the new Museum in the town-hall are the
principal attractions in the town. The so-called ' Glacier Garden',
near the Waggis Gate, is also interesting. Walks and excursions,
see Baedeker's Switzerland.
Soon after leaving the station the train passes through a small
tunnel, beyond which the lines to Bern and Basel diverge on the
leit. It then crosses the Reuss by a biidge 175 yaids long, passes
through another tunnel and a cutting, and skirts the Roth-See
(i72 M. long) on the right. Between (5 M.) Ebikon and (9 M.)
Gisikon we obtain a view of the Rigi to the right.
11 M. Rothkreuz (Rail. Restaurant), the junction of the lines
to Aaiau and Zurich. Our tiain luns hence to the E., and at
(16 M.) Immensee-Kvssnacht reaches the picturesque Lake of Zug
(9 M. long, 272 M. bioad); opposite rises the Rossberg, with the
village of Walchuyl at its foot. The railway skirts the N. slope of
the Rigi at a consideiable height above the lake, passes Arth on the
left, and penetiates the Rindelfluh Tunnel, beyond which lies
(21 M.) Arth-Goldau (Rail. Restaur.), situated in the midst of
debris and fragments of lock, the results of the disastrous land¬
slip of 1806. Arth-Goldau is also a station on the Aith and Rigi-
Kulm line. Farther on, to the left, are the farms of Steinenberg
on the mountain-side, while to the right lies the Lake of Lowerz,
with the island of Schwanau. 24 M. Steinen, in a rich fruit-district.
26 M. Seeuen, the station for Schwyz (Rossli; Hotel Hediger), the
capital of the canton, with 6600 inhab., which lies 1 M. inland, at
the base of the double-peaked Little Mythe (5955 ft.) and of the
Great Mythe (6240 ft.).
The tiain now turns to the S., passing the Fronalpstock