to Arona. BAVENO. 3. Route. 29
of the Tosa (Vol Antigorio) at the bridge of Crevola, 100 ft. in
height, below which it is called the Vol d'Ossola. The characte¬
ristics of the scenery are thoroughly Italian.
40 M. Domo d'Ossola (1000 ft.; Hotel de la Ville et Poste, R. 3,
D. 5fr.; Hotel d'Espagne; carriages, see p. 27), a small town with
3300 inhab., beautifully situated. Near (4 M.) Villa, the Antrona
Valley opens on the right; then (172 M.) Pallanzeno, and (2 M.)
Masone, opposite which opens the Anzasca Valley, with the mag¬
nificent *Monte Rosa group at its head. The Tosa is crossed.
48 M. Vogogna (*Corona, unpretending), a small town, at
the base of precipitous rocks. The next villages are (IY2 M.) Pre-
mosello (2 M.), Cuzzago, and (1 M.) Migiandone , where the Tosa
is crossed by a five-arched stone bridge.
56 M. Ornavasso (Italia; Croce Bianca). The marble-quarries
in the vicinity belong to the chapter of the cathedral of Milan.
To the S. a road leads through the valley of the Strona, which
falls into the Tosa near Gravellona, to Orta (p. 174). — Near Feriolo,
the next village, situated in a most luxuriant district, covered with
olive-groves, maize-fields, vineyards, chestnuts, and fig-trees, the
road passes an extensive granite quarry, where the columns of the
restored Basilica S. Paolo Fuori le Mura near Rome were hewn, and
soon reaches the S. W. bank of Lago Maggiore (R. 26), from which in
the distance rises the Isola Madre, the most N. of the Borromean
62M. Baveno (*Bellevue; *Beau-Rivage; Hotel-Pension Suisse)
is a steamboat-station. Travellers from the Simplon usually visit the
Borromean Islands from this point (comp. p. 171). The road, most
of which rests on buttresses of granite and solid masonry, skirts the
lake and leads by Stresa (p. 172), Belgirate, Lesa, and Meina, to —
7572 M. Arona, see p. 167. Railway to Milan, see p. 167; to
Genoa, see p. 79; to Turin by Novara, see p. 79 and R. 11.
4. From Lucerne to Lugano. The St. Gotthard
128 M. Railway in 63A-9 hrs. (fares 29 fr. 30, 20 fr. 50, 14 fr. 65 c;
through fares to Milan, 176 M., 36fr. 65, 25fr. 65, 18fr. 5c, sleeping
compartment 11 fr. 80 c. extra). — A table-d'hote dinner is provided, at
Goschenen for passengers by the day-express; those intending to partake
of it inform the guard.
The **St. Gotthard Railway, one of the most stupendous engineering
enterprises of modern times, was formally inaugurated on May 22nd, 1682,
and opened for general traffic on June 1st. The works were begun in
June 1872, in conformity with a treaty concluded between Italy and
Switzerland in 1869, to which Germany also became a party in 1871. In
accordance with this agreement those three states bound themselves to
grant the St. Gotthard Railway Company a subsidy of 85 million francs
(3,400,OO0Z.), of which Italy contributed 45 million francs, Germany and
Switzerland 20 millions each. This subvention was afterwards increased
by 28 million francs, and the total capital invested in the line amounted to
238 million francs (9,500,000*.). At first the chief engineer of the railway