to Turin. MODANE. 2. Route. 25
cursion by steamboat to *Haute- Combe, a Cistercian Abbey on the
N.W. bank of the Lac du Bourget. The church contains a number
of handsome monuments erected to Princes of Savoy.
The line quits the lake and traverses the broad valley of the
Laisse; to the left the beautifully wooded slopes of the Mont d'Azi
and the Dent de Nivolet (5025 ft.).
370 M. Chambery (883 ft. ; Hotel de France; Hotel des Alpes;
Hotel des Princes; Hotel de la Paix) is the capital of the Department
of Savoy, with 17,500 inhab., and an archiepiscopal see. On the
Promenade is the Monument of General de Boigne (d. 1830), adorned
with life-size figures of elephants, and in front of the Palais is a
statue of the jurist Antoine Favre (d. at Chambery in 1624). The
old palace of the Dukes of Savoy, erected in 1232, has been restored
and enlarged, and now contains the Prefecture; a square tower and
remnants of the facade of the original building still exist.
The line traverses a picturesque district, passing the ruined
castles of Bdtie and Chignin. — 377 M. Chignin-les-Marches is the
junction for the branch-line to Grenoble, which enters the valley
of the Isere (or Valley of Graisivaudan) to the right. From Grenoble
to Marseilles by railway in 12 hrs.
380 M. Montmelian. The ancient castle , of which scanty frag¬
ments now alone exist, was long the bulwark of Savoy against
France. The train crosses the Isere. — 385 M. St. Pierre dJAl-
bigny; the town lies opposite on the right bank, commanded by
the ruins of the chateau of Miolans. Near (388 M.) Chamousset
the line turns to the right, and traverses the valley of the Arc
(Vallee de Maurienne), which here joins the Isere. Beyond (393 M.)
Aiguebelle, which is grandly situated, the Arc is crossed (in the
—'cinity, on the left bank, the extensive iron mines of St. George
< . s Hurtieres). Between stations Epierre and La Chambre the train
passes through a tunnel.
413 M. St. Jean de Maurienne. — 421 M. St. Michel (2330 ft.).
The train crosses the Arc several times. Numerous tunnels (nine
between St. Michel and Modane). — 427 M. La Praz (3137 ft.).
431 M. Modane (3468 ft. ; Hotel International; Rail. Restau¬
rant, dej. with wine 4y2 fr.) is the seat of the French and Italian
custom-house authorities (change carriages).
The train (best view on the right) describes a wide curve round
the village, and passing through two short tunnels, enters, beyond
the small village of Fourneaux, the great *Mont Cenis Tunnel, by
which the Col de Frejus (8338 ft.) is penetrated in a S.E. di¬
The tunnel (73/4 M. in length; N. entrance 3802 ft., S. entrance 4163 ft.
above the sea-level; height in the centre 4245 ft., depth below the sur¬
face of the mountain 4093 ft.) was begun in Jan. 1861 and completed in
Dec. 1870, under the superintendence of the engineers Sommeiller, Grandis,
and Grattoni. Its total cost was 75,000,000 fr. The ingenious boring-
machines, constructed for the purpose, were worked by compressed air.
From 1500 to 2000 workmen were constantly employed on each side.